586,350 active members*
3,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

aluminum weld pitting

Does anyone know more about the problem? We know that chlorine is a problem. We are trying to find out if the degreaser we are using is the problem or chlorine in the water. We thought it was a problem with filler rod but we have tried different suppliers. We need to know how much pitting is effecting weld strength.

what type of weld are you doing?tig?mig?i know if you dont preheat aluminum to the proper temp you will have alot pitting and splatter,are you preheating?

We are welding T52 aluminum and are cleaning the tubing with degreasers. Is there a good product out there for cleaning aluminum for welding?

We use MEK......methyl ethyl ketone. Little bit spendy, but you get what ya pay for. Hope that helps ya.

Mike

(flame2)Is this stuff at least somewhat safe or is somebody going to blow up our factory?

It is very flammable. We clean our parts in a seperate area before take them to welding. However there has been many instances where we have had to "reclean" the parts after fitting and jigging are complete. Common sense should prevail. Put the can away before you start welding. It almost immediately vaporizes after the application to the parts......I've never had an issue with parts starting on fire.

Mike

Thanks. Acid does seem to work better. There was an issue with the cleaners we were using, which weren't taking off the carbon. If anybody has something better, let me know.

To get purest welds possible, you should brite dip in a good aluminum de-oxidizer 1 hour before welding to remove all the oxidation on the outside layer of the aluminum. This is best especially to be able to pass dye penetrant exmination and acceptable porosity under x-ray.

Mortek