586,655 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: monel 400

monel 400

How is tapping monel 400... 6-32 .500 dp.?

Should i use oil, spray mist .

i'll be tapping 10 pcs manually

monel 400

I would use a good oil and go big as possible with the minor diameter, I would also roll tap if you can. the high nickel content in monel makes it tough to machine. good luck

thanks it should be fun. no extra's.

To bad you dont have a bar end to try, I remember years ago we were tapping 0-80 in almost pure nickel on a mill, a old timer would grind the heal off a cut tap, right behind the cutting edge leaving about .01/.02 land of the cutting edge, this way there is no draging of the rest of the tap that would seize to the material, it worked, once again good luck.

I would rather die LOL

seriously its not that bad, however there is a monel 400 and a monel 405, off hand I forget which one is harder to machine, I wanna says its the 400 and its a pain in the butt compared to the 405.

I never tried a roll tap but have used cut taps make sure you get a good quality one that is COATED. I think there the same ones that are used inconel. In my opinion inconel 718 cuts and taps better than monel.
    Use oil it works better than coolant and if your threads are tight tols. use one rgh tap then run a new tap(finish tap) in there as after a few parts it tends to put in burrs and undersizes the thread root. I noticed that the rougher generally wears really fast on high threads per inch the coarser ones are not that bad.

I saw the thread title and thought; "give it to someone else to do".
    A good high sulfur tapping fluid is needed, and lots of luck.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Monel 400 is nickel copper alloy which becomes more hard in cooling... It is mostly used in marine applications & it also has excellent resistance. Main thing is that is becomes harden cool temperature.

Through hole or blind hole? What class of thread is required and how is the depth being gaged?

That's a VERY deep thread for a #6-32 in a material that tough.

Form tap, don't cut. Any tapping fluid or even WD-40 will be fine. You only need to worry about using high-sulfur fluids for cutting.
    pearls ain't free