586,171 active members*
3,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Runout

Runout

How do you change runnout. In a collet or solid holder? Is this done by balancing?

The short answer: clean and deburr your spindle, taper shanks, collet body, the collet and use high quality tooling. If it dials in true after that, and you still get runout when the machine is running, then balancing should take care of the problem. This is assuming that your spindle bearings are preloaded properly to remove unneccessary looseness.

Oh, and take your most accurate cuts at noon when the sun is overhead, so the gravitational attraction doesn't pull your cutter east or west
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Lol thanks

Lol thanks
    You're laughing... He's serious! Machining during a full moon is bad too, excess gravitational pull as well..

'Rekd teh sheepskin sunglasses

You are being serious, I understand literally that this is true but for what accuracy are you talking, that is what is funny. I love it man like how anal can we be. I am too don't get me wrong but their is time and place and for this project I laugh when I make a rocket I will cry.

It is a joke, actually.

Although those things can and do affect the machining, it is such small amounts that we are a long ways away from being able to measure it.

'Rekd teh Sheepskin Sunglasses? ( i.e. pulling the wool over your eyes. )

Ok than I guess I am just a geek or sumthin, lol. Maybe I should relax (takes deep breath). Hmm I feel better, ok I am ready for more jokes. Hey wait I noticed you have motorcycle on your avatar, nice. Do you have one. I wanted a Yamaha R1 but I think I am going to get WakeBoard boat instead.