586,500 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adding an additional axis on a build

First off I would like to say thanks to everyone who has provided their ideas and builds for everyone to see. I never imagined how much information there was available to self build a CNC.

Anyway, I've been researching my project design for about a month now and just about have the whole thing figured out. It will be a rack and pinion system using the new design by Ahren. Can't wait to order them when they're available.

Back to my question. Has anyone tried to add an additional axis to their 4 axis system? What I mean is to have something that you can mount in the middle, or better yet at the end, of the table that uses a stepper to rotate a linear object. Kind of like a lathe but at very low speed. This would allow the easy creation of an intricate ball and foot or cabriole design for a table leg.

The concept seems simple enough but what are the difficulties? Will Mach 3 meet the requirements of such a system?

Steve

Yes, there are a few rotary axis builds on the Zone that are removable. They can be placed anywhere on the table. Khalid did one in wood and there was one in aluminum as well. Khalid posted lots of photos of candle holders and other objects. Khalid used Mach3 and a bunch of other software to create his designs.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com