586,129 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > Transform in NX6

Angry Transform in NX6

Is there anyway to get any of the old (NX5) options back into the transform menu?

I live and die by "Translate" and "Reposition". It seems they eliminated about half of the options. I would scream and rant and rave but I know it does me no good. So is this fixable or is well written easily usable software no longer supported by Siemens? (wedge)

Silly Me

I heard about this and posted to this effect before.... must have suppressed it like a bad memory. I don't understand how giving someone something, a tool, to solve a specific problem and then taking it away constitutes a good business decision?
    They must be of the same mentality as those who invented Credit Default Swaps.

OK well any hope is good hope ....NX7 perhaps???

Red face Solved???

Not Really.... Move Object.. It's a work around.

Not pretty. I still cant nudge things along, like moving a circle over .025 and transforming it move move move and eyeballing the proximity.
    I do a lot of eyeball work, Custom implants based off of CatScan data... no tangebile features, just blobs of iges.

OK "Move Object".... we'll see

I was quick to whine, not entirely unjustified but still.... ridiculous.

Thanks for your patronage.

Drinks are on the house! :cheers:

NX6 Transform

The options are still there they just changed the Dialog. If your looking for Scale,Mirror and some of those options you may have to customize the menues and add the Transform option to the menu. This will give you the Scale and other "missing" options.
    John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by camster View Post
    The options are still there they just changed the Dialog. If your looking for Scale,Mirror and some of those options you may have to customize the menues and add the Transform option to the menu. This will give you the Scale and other "missing" options.

Yeah hehe I was quick to whine (freak out), however I'm diggin hard to find more stuff to complain about...Stay Tuned!

What version of NX6 are you using?

Delta XYZ was added as a 'Motion' option to the Move Object function in NX 6.0.2.8.
    John Joyce -NC Programming Supervisor
    Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

NX6.0.3.6 ....
    Yes I see Delta values...

Inside this one thing I seem to miss is the ability to click move move move.
    In other words if I'm "nudging" an object one way or the other, it would be nice to click click and have it continue to move by the value set. For a moment I thought I could rehit apply but it seems to grey out after the first move. Elsewise yes this does cover the old transform by delta values.

mongo

Yes, I also miss the ability to keep clicking "move". I did not like the new move at first but grew to like it. I especially like the ability to preview the result which the old transform could not do. There is also dynamic move which at first I was very excited to use so I could "drag" a model dynamically but I needed the ability to isolate the plane I was dragging it in but there is no such option. I think the new move dialog is supposed to be the modern replacement which is consistent with the rest of the user interface.

The old transform dialog is still intact, albeit without delta XYZ but it can be turned on in via the ugii_env.dat file. I don't recall what the variable is called but you may be able to locate it by searching the file. If not I suggest calling GTAC and they can tell what variable to edit. Keep in mind the old dialog is basically obsoleted and I would not count on it being there in future releases. When Siemens totally axes it, I don't know.
    NX 10.0.3

Question Alignment of Dynamic WCS Handles

OK Here's a wrinkle.
    Getting used to using move object by using dynamic method.
    My question is when I have my view and wcs oriented to an odd plane how do I get the dynamic WCS handles to orient to the WCS of my view? Although I can drag view based by grabbing the origin of the manipulation tool, I would like to drag along a vector that is aligned with the plane of my view.
    The maniupulation tool (Dynamic wcs) seems to be orienteated to the absolute.

Thanks in advance...

I don't know if you can orient to a WCS or view. You can use the handles and snap angles to change it but I am not sure how to orient if the wcs/view is in bizarre planes. Dynamic is close to being a super valuable tool but not quite yet. I find myself using the other function much more.

If I come across a solution I will be sure to post it.
    NX 10.0.3

EUREKA!!!!!!!

Check this out, if you like the "Old" Transform here how you put it back.

turn on / some of the legacy transformation options are not available in NX6. UGII_ENABLE_TRANSFORM_LEGACY_OPTIONS = 1

This is an enviorment variable, set it in
    My Computer\Properties\Enviorment Variables\New

then set enviorment variable name UGII_ENABLE_TRANSFORM_LEGACY_OPTIONS

and Variable Value

Not to take anything away from Move object which does have some handy features, just wish they would have kept it all in one menu.

Mongo

I'm glad you found it. The only thing I somewhat miss about the old dialog is the ability to keep hitting MOVE.

However, the new dialog has Preview for all functions and also associative copies which both of those things are a huge benefit to me. Instance Geometry is very nice to use for associative copies too.

One thing I would like to change is to bring the old Transform-Mirror into the new dialog so it is under one, unified dialog. Considering all the work, by Siemens, to standardize the UI I don't quite understand why they left the old school transform dialog intact.
    NX 10.0.3

Still on NX6 here... we can only hope that somehow they will combine the best of both menus into one...