586,144 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > I need a buddy (custom desktop 3 axis mill )

I need a buddy (custom desktop 3 axis mill )

Hi ,

I am into mechanical engineering & know as good as nothing about electronics which can be applied.I am an expert at 2d & 3d cad modeling.

I have decided to build a custom 3 axis mill which will be used to machine aluminum,plastic,wood.I need some one who can guide me to building this machine since I am not very confident about my self when it comes to electronics. I am seeking a person who has good knowledge about cnc machines & who can rectify my cad design in step by step process, before I start building it.

Though I know there are ready made cnc cards & kits available, I cannot jump in & buy those without expert advice. I know there are lot of experts here and & someone will be willing to help me.

Thanks a lot for watching.

warm regards,
    Pradeep

How heavy and big is the table and also the head?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowRiderr View Post
    How heavy and big is the table and also the head?
    Hi SlowRiderr, Thanks for taking time to ask

I am planning to have the following axis travel

X = 300 mm
    Y = 300 mm
    Z = minimum 130 mm

I haven`t fixed on the T slot table yet, but will check the standard sizes available & post here tomorrow.

Please define what do you mean by head ? Do you mean the z axis dead weight ?

Quote Originally Posted by axis_control View Post
    Hi SlowRiderr, Thanks for taking time to ask

I am planning to have the following axis travel

X = 300 mm
    Y = 300 mm
    Z = minimum 130 mm

I haven`t fixed on the T slot table yet, but will check the standard sizes available & post here tomorrow.

Please define what do you mean by head ? Do you mean the z axis dead weight ?
    When choosing what kind of motors to use you need to figure the weight of the components being moved. So do you have an estimate of how much the table would weigh, and yes the weight of the Z component (head)?

Quote Originally Posted by SlowRiderr View Post
    When choosing what kind of motors to use you need to figure the weight of the components being moved. So do you have an estimate of how much the table would weigh, and yes the weight of the Z component (head)?
    I have just started designing the router table. I can give an exact weigh figure once the cad model is done, but right now I can`t say.I will give you a rough weight estimate once I select the standard components, but I will need guidance in selecting those too. I have started meeting suppliers to get dimensions & other data for the standard components which I will be sourcing. I am still checking what spindle motor`s are available here.

what type of router table design would you suggest? I will be building it myself.