586,140 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New Project - Tabletop router 24x48x7 HD!!

Hi everyone,

Last weekend I've decided to build my own router since I couldn't find one that fit within my budget and/or was not rigid enough.

I want to build something heavy duty that is gonna last and can cut aluminum almost like a knee mill and hardwood as fast as possible. Was looking at Techno and Blurry customs but they don't look very rigid.

Specs are 24 x 48 x 7 and will also have a 4th rotary axis.
    3hp spindle with VFD, AC servo. All quality parts!

Objective is to get a turnkey machine under $8K CAD and have it built by the end of october. I'll put all the purchases on this forum to let you know how deep in the red my bank account will look like and see how my project progresses until the deadline fixed!

I have already made some purchase on ebay and received it today.

Z axis :LINEAR BEARING,THK HSR20, BALLSCREW, BTK2005A
    X axis: 2 rails/4 blocks THK HSR25 H, LINEAR BERING, LM GUIDE,37",940mm
    Y axis: 2 rails/4 blocks NSK LINEAR BEARING LS30/LM GUIDE
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10029-tile.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	88580

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NSK-LS-30BD.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	88581

Near new items, items were packaged with extreme care and all this for 1418.31$ CAD!! Next week, will get quote on the 2 ballscrews missing and work on the design of the router.

Need some input from this forum
    I will have a work area of 24 x 48, what are the minimum dimensions that the table need to be to allow proper part fixing? Further I plan to have vacuum table but don't think I will able to make it fit in the budget.

Also, i am planning of buying ac servo with drive, was thinking of 400w servo with 1.3N/M rated torque mounted on ballscrew with a ratio of 1:2. What this forum thinks about that, is enough, should I consider bigger?

Thanks
    petecul

Your plan looks like a carbon copy of mine :-) What material are you thinking about for the frame? I'm going for RHS in around 150 x 50 x 4mm. The trick is to get the mounting surfaces for the rails flat and parallel. once you start machining rolled sections they can distort as the built in stresses are altered. The only way to avoid this is to either not machine it or to relieve the parts first then machine.

Hi

Here is a first draft of the router that i am building. Table still need to be design. I am still waiting for the x-y ball screw quotes. Spindle and drive quotes are on the way too.

It will be made of structural steel tube 44W 2 x 2 x 1/4, and 3/8 Steel plate 44w. At This point, the whole thing weight something like 300lbs. Will be a welded welded/bolted contruction. I've tried to think about every possible adjustment for each axis to allow fine tune them.

X = 27, y= 48.5, z=7.5

I am still looking for some control/motors (servo ac if possible other wise dc is fine too), will need a control pendant, t-slot table. Freebies are welcome !

Beginning of the next week, target is to have all components ordered for the frame (tubes, bended/laser cut parts)

Any advice about the frame are welcome.

thanks
    petecul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc v4.jpg  

Hy guys

The router will finally looks like this, built with 3 x 3 x 1/4 tubing, welded structure. Table plateform will be 4X 2x2x 1/4 on the Y axis. roughly 500lbs of rigidity!

Instead of a 3hp, I might get a 5hp spindle, waiting for quote, money will tell!!!

petecul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by petecul View Post
    Hy guys

The router will finally looks like this, built with 3 x 3 x 1/4 tubing, welded structure. Table plateform will be 4X 2x2x 1/4 on the Y axis. roughly 500lbs of rigidity!

Instead of a 3hp, I might get a 5hp spindle, waiting for quote, money will tell!!!

petecul
    Nice project. I would be tempted to skip the welding and go straight to bolt + epoxy to reduce distortion. The 1/4 in tube walls are thick enough to tap, so you can use that to simplify construction.

After welding, I will face, drill and tap the table on a large milling to insure parallelism of both rails for each axis.

Thanks

petecul

Because of the price I am considering 25 mm x 5 mm THK rolled ball screw with nut BNT2505-2.6. Nut have 0.1mm of backlash (0.004''). Should I worry about this backlash or mach 3 can do compensation without affecting quality?

Thanks
    Petecul

spindle

Spindle is ordered, i got a 5hp. Budget is almost cut in half only for the spindle!!

Thanks
    Petecul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitimage.jpg  

I've started put together some tube and welded the head assembly.
    here are few pictures

Thanks
    petecul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0850.JPG   IMG_0851.JPG   IMG_0852.JPG   IMG_0853.JPG  

IMG_0854.JPG  

Need help with drive enclosure

Hi

I am now at the point to figure out all electrical parts that I will need to make this router functional.

Here is the link of what I found on MachMotion's website.
    http://www.machmotion.com/CNC-Contro...duct_info.html

What do I need to build something similar?

input power will be 220v/1phase, I have already a VFD for a 5 hp spindle. Will need a 120v jack for computer, on/off breaker and emergency stop button. I will have 4 axis AC servo motor drive of 400w or 750w in the enclosure and the control board from Ajax CNC in there too.

Any tip or comments will be helpful there and much appreciated.

thanks
    petecul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-340.jpg  

A nice steel enclosure would complement your existing framework!
    Hoffman makes the best steel enclosures, several sizes are always available on eBay. The Hoffman boxes have good weather stripping to keep out dust too!

Eric

its been a while since a i've posted any development, here it is where i am whit this project

http://picasaweb.google.ca/plduchesne/CNC#

thanks for your comments
    petecul

all looking good!
    still on budget?
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

budget is busted, and by far!

was targeting $8000 but will end the project around $12000.

still cheap for the quality that I will have

• ajax controller
    • nsk and thk 30mm and 25 mm linear slide bearing
    • thk 25 mm ball screw
    • 5hp spindle with variable speed control
    • yaskawa servo and drive

Will need a mgp (cnc pendant) any recommandations?

Also, will need to install vacuum table, will be looking for a good used vacuum pump.

By 2-3 week, wiring should be complete and ready to run!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1089.jpg   IMG_1092.jpg   IMG_1085.jpg  

looks money, awesome

Damn that's a killer machine with some awesome components! Can't wait to see it going...

But what's up with the lighter fluid?!

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Damn that's a killer machine with some awesome components! Can't wait to see it going...

But what's up with the lighter fluid?!
    In case it doesn't?
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Very nice looking machine.
    Your X-axis is using HSR25 rails basically the rail can be mounted flat like you have it or on its side as the blocks provide support in all directions. I was wondering why you chose to mount them like this and not on their side? I have some SSR25 rails which must(should be) mounted like you have mounted your HSR25 rails. I have been looking for a solid mounting solution for the gantry uprights. It looks like you have done a very good job. Would you post more pictures of your gantry supports, specifically where they attach to the HSR25 blocks.

petecul, Looks like a solid, and clean design. It looks your model very closely represents what you have built thus far. If you don't mind I have several questions where I could learn a great deal from your experiences:

1. How did you go about attaching the rails to the steel? Did you use shimming, a self-leveling epoxy? Did you drill and tap the steel? Do the bolts for the rail go all the way through the square tubing?

2. If it is working, how well does it cut various materials? Steel, Aluminum, Wood, etc.. Does it have vibrational issues? Do you find it rigid enough, or do you feel it could use some more rigidity?

3. Have you settled for a 3-axis machine? I do not see any direct evidence of a 4th rotary axis. (I could be missing it)

4. Will you be installing a vacuum for particulate handling?
    Would the stars shine if nobody were there to observe them?

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    Very nice looking machine.
    Your X-axis is using HSR25 rails basically the rail can be mounted flat like you have it or on its side as the blocks provide support in all directions. I was wondering why you chose to mount them like this and not on their side? I have some SSR25 rails which must(should be) mounted like you have mounted your HSR25 rails. I have been looking for a solid mounting solution for the gantry uprights. It looks like you have done a very good job. Would you post more pictures of your gantry supports, specifically where they attach to the HSR25 blocks.
    Rails has been mounted this way because was easier to face, drill and tap on a single setup. Just make sure both surfaces were on a same plane.

will post more pictures soon
    petecul

Page 1 of 2 12