586,493 active members*
1,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

435 Runaway :Check motor wiring

We have a Bridgeport with Centriod retro on it. Run great in CNC mode, but in manual mode when moving axis either X or Y I get this error
    435 Runaway: Check motor wiring
    436 Servo Power removed
    I have to shut of main power and restart machine
    Any Ideas????:devious:

By "manual mode" do you mean that you are using the jog buttons to move the X or Y axis under motor power, or do you mean that you have released motor power and are turning manual handwheels on the ends of the ballscrews?

In short, "435 _ axis runaway" means that the CNC control thinks that the axis is powered off (perhaps because it was powered off a fraction of a second ago due to some other stall or fault); and yet the control sees that axis (encoder) moving at 120 in/min or more.

Because of the possibility that this means a shorted output FET and an uncontrollable runaway, the controller takes away its signal from the servo drive, which forces the servo drive into a fault and causes the E-stop contactor to open.

Turning manual handwheels, you could cause this to happen if you managed to turn the wheels fast enough to make 120 in/min (2 in/sec).

Do you have any problems if you are careful to only turn the handwheels slowly?

If it happens while using the jog buttons, the likely cause is that your fast jog rate (and max rate) are set too high, causing a Position Error stall a few inches into the jog move. The control will power off the axis as soon as it detects the stall. However, if the axis is still coasting at more than 120 in/min a half second later, it will trigger the "435 ... runaway" message.

Do you have any problems if you only use Slow jog mode, or Fast jog mode with the feedrate override turned down to 50% or so?

Also, how old is your control and what is the software version?

This error message happens when we are using the handwheels in manual mode.
    I do not have the software or machine in front of me now so I will have to get back with that info.

The Centroid Model M400S Serial 20746.
    The error did occur when you reversed directions quickly with the handwheels. Is there a way of correcting this?

Simplest would be to update your control software to version 2.38 (I would guess you are running 2.32 or earlier). It is my understanding that the "435 ... runaway" detection and reporting were removed from the software because there were far more false alarms than actual saves.