586,371 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Very very satisfied

A couple of months ago I posted a question here about what I should expect getting a Boss II a CNC electronics retrofit. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I finally decided on Ajax CNC and I am very pleased with the results. It took a bit longer than I thought but the end result more than I expected. Sometimes very small companies have the best ideas. The Ajax CNC is based on the common sense philosophy of using as far as possible off the shelf parts. Granted this cannot be done with everything but for example the Ajax uses Linux as an operating system and uses an off the shelf computer motherboard available anywhere and a standard keyboard and standard flat screen monitor. The relays and power systems are also standard. The hard drive is a 4 gigabyte compac flash card that is rated to 180F and vibration proof, also available anywhere even Walmart. The result is reliability and easy repair by local people if a problem occurs. Not being tied to a dealer was important to me. Scott Pratt worked with me and he is excellent. He can be reached by email in less than a day although phone is a bit harder. Virtually every question though is in the documentation if you force yourself to read it twice. I had Ajax steer me to a person who built the system into an aluminum box and just shipped that to me to attach to the machine. Even that way there is allot to do as there are air systems, oil systems, routing wires and mounting new motors on old brackets. Mounting the new aluminum box of course requires brackets etc. All together it took over a week but we now have a machine that is very fast and accurate and is preferred over the Hass due to the easy of set up as everything can be reached and putting a vice on the machine does not require leaning over a number of guards. The software is also more accessible. The hand held pennant allows the operator to stand where he can see the part best during setup and is very useful when locating the part on the table. I have absolutely no complaints and feel we have a machine that is unmatched without regard to cost. This is not been my usual experience in life . I extend my thanks to Ajax and expect them to go far. I tried to post a picture of the machine and more importantly the aluminum box with the electronics installed inside but this discussion group requires a URL which I do not have however Ajax has a copy. A very nice product and worth the effort.

Stephen,

You can post all of your pictures, just click on "browse" when you are in the "Manage Attachments" utility.

See attached picture for details.

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pix.JPG  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenwinter View Post
    A couple of months ago I posted a question here about what I should expect getting a Boss II a CNC electronics retrofit. I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I finally decided on Ajax CNC and I am very pleased with the results. It took a bit longer than I thought but the end result more than I expected. Sometimes very small companies have the best ideas. The Ajax CNC is based on the common sense philosophy of using as far as possible off the shelf parts. Granted this cannot be done with everything but for example the Ajax uses Linux as an operating system and uses an off the shelf computer motherboard available anywhere and a standard keyboard and standard flat screen monitor. The relays and power systems are also standard. The hard drive is a 4 gigabyte compac flash card that is rated to 180F and vibration proof, also available anywhere even Walmart. The result is reliability and easy repair by local people if a problem occurs. Not being tied to a dealer was important to me. Scott Pratt worked with me and he is excellent. He can be reached by email in less than a day although phone is a bit harder. Virtually every question though is in the documentation if you force yourself to read it twice. I had Ajax steer me to a person who built the system into an aluminum box and just shipped that to me to attach to the machine. Even that way there is allot to do as there are air systems, oil systems, routing wires and mounting new motors on old brackets. Mounting the new aluminum box of course requires brackets etc. All together it took over a week but we now have a machine that is very fast and accurate and is preferred over the Hass due to the easy of set up as everything can be reached and putting a vice on the machine does not require leaning over a number of guards. The software is also more accessible. The hand held pennant allows the operator to stand where he can see the part best during setup and is very useful when locating the part on the table. I have absolutely no complaints and feel we have a machine that is unmatched without regard to cost. This is not been my usual experience in life . I extend my thanks to Ajax and expect them to go far. I tried to post a picture of the machine and more importantly the aluminum box with the electronics installed inside but this discussion group requires a URL which I do not have however Ajax has a copy. A very nice product and worth the effort.
    Totally, I have a older centroid controller for my 3 axis knee mill from the mid 90's and it's a way sweet system. I have a 4 axis mill that I need to fix the controller or get one and that's exactly what I'd go with would be a Ajax, because I have a centroid and Ajax is the Centroids sister company so I know they insure quallity and reliability. So from the sounds of it you did'nt put together this controller? That's what I'd like to know is how hard it is to assemble one of these controllers? I don't have any experience putting together electronics, so that being said. What package did you go with and what kind of deal did you get on it "if you don't mind telling me, pm though with the answer to the price if you got a deal"?

Get it done by someone who knows electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by cncjunky View Post
    Totally, I have a older centroid controller for my 3 axis knee mill from the mid 90's and it's a way sweet system. I have a 4 axis mill that I need to fix the controller or get one and that's exactly what I'd go with would be a Ajax, because I have a centroid and Ajax is the Centroids sister company so I know they insure quallity and reliability. So from the sounds of it you did'nt put together this controller? That's what I'd like to know is how hard it is to assemble one of these controllers? I don't have any experience putting together electronics, so that being said. What package did you go with and what kind of deal did you get on it "if you don't mind telling me, pm though with the answer to the price if you got a deal"?
    Call Scott Pratt, he probably knows some people who could put it together for you. I had mine assembled in an aluminum box, that is commonly used on tractor trailers for tools. Its about 24 by 12 by 18 or so. Someone who knows what he is doing could put it together in two or three days, I believe.

Ajax

I, too , have an Ajax controller running a verticle 3 axis mill , since late 2005.
    Have had no problems since, and am very happy with it. I bought the kit and assemeled it myself , according to the schematic provided. Any questions I had I emailed Jesse from Ajax and had immediate response. Thanks Ajax.

Ed VanEss

Excellent, all I would need is the controller itself actually assembled. For my current mill that I have a centroid controller I already built a standing tower that sets next to the machine that contains my controller, pc, and keyboard etc. and has 2 good sized fans sucking air in and pushing air out. Works good

I put a Centroid/Ajax "kit" on my 325 Tree. I'd never done anything like that before and I did have some puzzlement when one of the components was different from the wiring diagram, and I didn't have the electrical knowledge to know how to deal with that. Having a friend who is an EE can be handy then!

The other issue I ran into was the internal voltage for the Tree contactors etc was different from what the new control wanted, so there was some delay while I ordered up replacements. I did try to reuse as many of the original parts inside the cabinet as possible. I'd presumed the voltages were going to be some sort of standard followed by all manufacturers and that was a bad assumption. But that kind of problem is hardly the fault of the control manufacturer.

The wiring is largely just a case of following the schematic. It is electrics, not electronics, so you can treat it like plumbing and dump electrons in one end of the wire and watch them come out the other end.

I spent a lot of time figuring out the component layout in the cabinet I retained. I'm sure that amount of time depends on how tight the cabinet is, the components you've got on hand, and if you've got any experience doing that kind of thing. The cabinet isn't as neat as I'd hoped it would be, but things work.

I can't say that I'd be eager to do it again, but I would approach another control conversion with more confidence. I did go through a Centroid dealer and I got good support from him though I know people who had a poor experience with the dealer they dealth with. It is luck of the draw on that kind of thing.

The control seems pretty friendly for a newbie CNC person.

cheers,
    Michael

NEED SOME HELP

I have been building an Ajax Retrofit on a Bridgeport series 1 with and a SJ100 Inverter. I have most every thin done but am getting quit confused with the Inverter manual. I follow the Ajax Schematic an my hookups are this.

CNC7 Inveter

T1 L on Logic side
    L1 to Spin Encom
    CW 1 on Logic Side
    CCW 2 on Logic side

Analog Out 0 Analog Side
    Analog Com L Analog Side

The Spindle motor will run from the Run command on the inverter but nothing
    when I press the start on the control pendant.
    Am I missing some setting on the Inverter? Also using an external 24v power supply.

If any of you have done this with success I would appreciate your help.

I think you need to use P24, not L, as the sequence common for the inverter inputs.

I think you also have the polarity of your analog reversed. L is the analog common; O is the 0-10V analog input.

As with most inverters, you need to set parameters in the inverter to tell it to "listen" to the terminal wire connections instead of its front panel keypad buttons for both run/stop/direction commands and for a speed command.

You need to set inverter parameters A01 and A02 both to 01 (control terminals).

Quote Originally Posted by cncsnw View Post
    I think you need to use P24, not L, as the sequence common for the inverter inputs.

I think you also have the polarity of your analog reversed. L is the analog common; O is the 0-10V analog input.

As with most inverters, you need to set parameters in the inverter to tell it to "listen" to the terminal wire connections instead of its front panel keypad buttons for both run/stop/direction commands and for a speed command.

You need to set inverter parameters A01 and A02 both to 01 (control terminals).
    Thanks CNCNSW,

They are hooked up the way you stated ( I made a typo, just fixed that) and I for got to to mention that I have an external power supply. If I understand right, the inverter manual says the internal supply isn't used and the eternal has to be grounded to the inverter.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing a diagram of your particular wiring, but I would guess that:
    1) You need to connect the 0V (common) side of your external supply to the "L" terminal on the inverter, and
    2) You need to connect the +24V side of your external supply through L1/T1 and on to the spindle enable common.

Is that how you have it?

It's hard to say for sure without seeing a diagram of your particular wiring, but I would guess that:
    1) You need to connect the 0V (common) side of your external supply to the "L" terminal on the inverter, and
    2) You need to connect the +24V side of your external supply through L1/T1 and on to the spindle enable common.

Is that how you have it?
    Attached is the schematic and how it is wired.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Where does your external power supply come into the picture?

That diagram is for an inverter that supplies the sequence common itself (as the SJ100 can if you use the P24 terminal).

Where does your external power supply come into the picture?

That diagram is for an inverter that supplies the sequence common itself (as the SJ100 can if you use the P24 terminal).
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you,I have a machine shop and I got pretty busy the past week or so which is a goo thing in these times, and I work on this when I get free time hoping to get it finished but Your right the external doesn't come into play. I mad a good diagram of my hook up that may help out a little better. I appreciate your help and am sorry to bother you.

I will attach the file in PDF

Gene
    Attached Files Attached Files

Centroid / AJAX

First let me add that Centroid is right here in the USA and is owned by no one.
    AjaxCNC control products does not have there own control or software its all Centroid

Any one can order a complete control system for new or retro from Me at OSCNC or directly from PA.

Centroid has gone to linux with a open windows base system. The repair is also off the shelf components though the have there own MB now.

Any one needing help with GibbsCAM / Solidworks / Centroid / Atrump / machine tool designs and or any machining questions PM me.

:cheers: and Happy Hoildays

Jimpac
    OSCNC

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by machine_nut View Post
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you,I have a machine shop and I got pretty busy the past week or so which is a goo thing in these times, and I work on this when I get free time hoping to get it finished but Your right the external doesn't come into play. I mad a good diagram of my hook up that may help out a little better. I appreciate your help and am sorry to bother you.

I will attach the file in PDF

Gene
    Problem is Solved,Besides the full sized schematic there is another on of just the spindle/inverter hookup which shows the connections for the +10vdc backwards from the full sized schematic. Just my luck to be using that one.