586,161 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Please be easy, I'm new

I own a Hot Rod shop and want to buy a lathe. I don't know what it is called. Has anyone ever watched these Hot Rod shows on TV where the lathe or machine can make anything. What is this machine called. I am intersted in producing my own spindles and control arms for Hot Rods. I realize I will have to hire an operator and that is fine, but I dont know how to look for a machine if I dont know the name. Any help would be appreciated; name of machine, manufacturer, where to buy.

Thanks,
    Dave

Ok.. I'll bite..

Its called a CNC Machine? CNC Lathe? Would that be a 4 axis CNC Lathe?

Just a guess.. I quit the hotrod scene before CNC was even a word.
    I was watching Monster Garage one day and saw one..

Hope that helped.. I have no idea what I am talking about...

A lathe is primarily used for making cylindrical shapes. A mill can, with the right configuration, knowledge, tooling, and skills, make any shape.

I know that description will probably get some replys stating that a lathe can do alot more than cylinder shaped stuff. But I think saying they are primarily for cylindrical shapes is somewhat accurate.

I know only enough about cars to be dangerous. So I'm not sure what would be needed to make spindles or control arms.

Have you thought about having your parts made for you? I'm sure there are several people here that would be happy to quote your parts.

Spindles will have to be made in several pieces. First, A lathe would be needed to cut the actual spindle. This would be ideally made out of stainless (don't know what grade). Then a mill would be needed to make the body of the spindle (from ball joint to ball joint). After the body is cut, the holes for the ball joints would be ideally cut with a mill. Then a steering arm would need to be made, that would bolt or be welded to the spindle body. A hole would be milled in the body to accept the spindle shaft, with the hole being undersized. I have seen the body made out of aluminum mostly, but sometimes stainless. The spindle would then be put in the freezer, and body in heater (if hole is undersized enough to need this), and then the spindle would be dropped into its boss in the body. When brought back to room temperature, voila...you have one piece. Or you could just have the pieces cast in nodular iron! Control arms would be a bit easier, and only require a mill to cut out the basic shape, mill the holes for the ball joints, and then turn on its side and mill the holes for the frame bushings. Wheels (billet) are made on a CNC lathe such as this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...876857554&rd=1, but the size of the machine would need to be accounted for. I would tell you what the swing over bed is, but I can't for the life of me remember if it is diameter or radius of the part being turned! Then the wheel blank would be put into a mill to cut out holes, kidneys beans, flames, etc.

Unless you are a very big, high dollar shop, perhaps it would be better to shop around for job shops that are already set up for this work. I myself have not liked billet stuff on rods for some time, but would really like to build a high tech/nostalgia lakes racer, with an injected flathead, mid mounted, titanium tube frame, inboard discs front and rear with pushrod suspension using 1/4 elliptics for the springs. fully independent suspension, and 20" billet copies of the old Halibrand windowless mags! Oh well...maybe one day when I am rich. Here is a photo of the last one I built. 29 Ford, started with cowl, built all the rest from scratch and junkyard. Pinto motor and 4 speed (hey...it was free!), cost $1600, took 3 years, and two kids (my wife had them, I got the "easy" job). Hope any of this helps. IM me if you want.

Sorry for taking up space guy...but I know that I alsways like to see pictures of hot rods! Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roadster3.jpg   Roadster4.jpg  
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

They make machines that are called Turn/Mill machine. The spindle is horizantal and they are (I believe) 5 axis with live tooling everywhere. I am in a hurry right now, but can provide a link later (you can search the internet as well). Be prepared to drop $300,000+ for one.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca