586,493 active members*
1,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Rapid Feed Rates

Rapid Feed Rates

So after finally figuring out how to toolpath in mastercam, i'm having great fun watching the gantry move at 3 units/minute across an 8 inch piece of acrylic... Is there any way to set the rapid feed rate in the toolpath settings when the cutting head isn't actually cutting?

Thanks
    Site in Progress: http://www.creativecad.com/

Quote Originally Posted by creativecad View Post
    So after finally figuring out how to toolpath in mastercam, i'm having great fun watching the gantry move at 3 units/minute across an 8 inch piece of acrylic... Is there any way to set the rapid feed rate in the toolpath settings when the cutting head isn't actually cutting?

Thanks
    ??? not reaaly describing the problem

Is the machine in rapid (G0) or feed mode (G1/2/3 ) when doing this 3(units)/min ) ?

Have you set speeds and feeds for the actual tool yet ?

When you create a tool, it puts up a dialog box for you to set a tool type, tool set-up dimensions, AND tool parameters, the last tab area allows you to set the defaults for this tool ( height and length offset #, XYfeed-rate, Zplunge rate, retract rate, RPM, coolant ON/OFF , a name for the tool plus a couple of others ).
    This allows you to create an operation, select the geometry, quickly select the tool set your cutting parameters ( depths,passes, offfset distance, etc ) and accept and the path created is quite usable

Many people that do not setup the tool correctly find that the setting they put in the operation for the tool, do not stay. The setting get overwritten when you re-select the same or another tool.

Also, you should have " Use tool's speed, feed, coolant" turned on in the machine's set-up page.

Yeah, sorry, it's traveling 3 units/minute regardless of whether it's in G0 G1 G2 or G3, I set all of the values in the tool parameters tab, but the only rates i seem to be able to adjust are the feed rate(G01), the plunge rate, and the retract rate. I set the feed rate to 3, the plunge rate to 2, and the retract rate to 12. I don't see a rapid feed rate (G00) there...
    Site in Progress: http://www.creativecad.com/

Ok, now we are getting somewhere

G0 = rapid rate
    This rate is set by the machine builders, is runs the servos at its maximum speeds, you do not have any control over this rate

G1, G2, G3 = interpolating codes ( lines and arcs ) to be done under a controlled feedrate

XY feedrate = feed rate setting done on the G1 G2 G3 codes when machining out the actual part

plunge rate = feed rate of transitions between cut levels ( usually the Z axis )

retract rate = not usually used, most users have rapid retract ON, but may often be used in the surfacing toolpaths

Milling machines are usually set to cut in units per minute ( G94 )

example
    RPM x feed per tooth x #teeth = feed per min [metric or inch]

say you have a 2 flute cutter running at 1000 RPM and you want it to cut at 0.002" per tooth
    1000 x 0.002 x 2 = 4" per minute

say you have a 4 flute cutter running at 2000 RPM and you want it to cut at 0.004" per tooth
    2000 x 0.004 x 4 = 32" / min

in Mastercam to run eg#2 set:
    feedrate = 32
    plunge = 8
    retract = 80
    spindle = 2000
    these are more realistic settings