586,449 active members*
3,338 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Lubricating Geared Head Mill

Lubricating Geared Head Mill

:withstupi My spindle is getting extremely hot after running for about 20 minutes or so. I am not sure if it is properly lubricated. The heat is isolated to the top of the spindle and the arbor bolt.

I am using Norvey All-Purpose Turbine Lube Oil- dripped down the spindle before operation. Please help!

Lubrication......

Sorry about your heating problems but it might help someone here to help you if we all knew what brand and model of machine you are talking about....peace

Quote Originally Posted by stabbs View Post
    :withstupi My spindle is getting extremely hot after running for about 20 minutes or so. I am not sure if it is properly lubricated. The heat is isolated to the top of the spindle and the arbor bolt.

I am using Norvey All-Purpose Turbine Lube Oil- dripped down the spindle before operation. Please help!
    Could be the spindle bearings were poorly setup, and have too much pre-load. It's pretty common on these cheap machines. Very often, the problem is poor dimensional control on the spindle. If the spindle OD is too large, the bearing inner race does not slide smoothly on it, as it should, making it almost impossible to set proper pre-load. The fix is to remove the bearing, and slightly reduce the spindle OD to a point where the bearing race slides smoothly over it, but with zero radial slop. This can usually be done in a lathe, using emery cloth or something similar. Then, re-assemble, and pre-load the bearing *just* enough to remove all end-float, but not enough to introduce significant friction. You should be able to spin the spindle by hand and have it continue spinning for one rotation or so after you let go. Properly setup, they should never get more than very slightly warm.

Regards,
    Ray L.

i'll double check that bearing, but it seems most of the heat is higher up on the spindle. I pulled the spindle out of the head & it was cool lower down by the bearing- like where the spindle's teeth are.

well after some poking around inside the gearbox it seems that my heating spindle (and the excessive noise) is due to a bad bearing on the spline drive shaft gear. I hand spun this gear and it does not spin very well. Guess its time to replace the crappy Chinese bearings with some descent ones.

Or you could possibly......

Do what I did and get rid of the gearbox completely.... GO BELT DRIVE!!!! peace