586,388 active members*
3,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Radius with cutter comp

Radius with cutter comp

I'm trying to cut a .5 radius on the end of a part. If I try to use cutter comp (.5 endmill) My machine will make a .750 radius. Without CC I get a .5 radius but would like to be able to use CC to adjust at the mill.

I know the part is drawn out correct but I can't find my problem any suggestions?

Cutter Comp. is one beast to figure out. On some machines you have to use half the dia. of the actual tool, (.500) on other machines you use nothing, on others you have to figure out the difference between the actual tool dia. and the tool used to program the tool path. Like when you use a sharpened tool. Your cutter comp might be -.015 or something like that. Either way you will have to use G41 or G42 in your programming depending on which side of the line you are cutting on. G42 is the right side. G41 is the left side.
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

I've used it while writing my own programs and had it work perfect. I used it to make a circular pocket in this same part and gibbs gave me a program that worked perfect.

There's something I'm screwing up in gibbs and I can't find it. It's like gibbs is doubling my CC.

With comp off Gibbs writes code to move my .5 cutter center through a .75 radius with makes a perfect .5 radius.

CC on gibbs writes same code but adds a g41 which moves my cutter too far away from my part.

It simulates everything right but doesn't cut right. I thought it might be a problem in the way I proccessed the program but I tried every different way and nothing has worked.

Does the machine matter? I'm working on a HAAS

Hi KVD

What version of Gibbs do you have there are 3 different settings you can have

Go to Preferences & click on machining Prefs. you can choose Tool Centre Tool Edge or Finish Profile I'm sure one will work
    Mactec54

Thanks, tool edge worked like a charm.