586,840 active members*
2,508 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Granite surface plate thickness accuracy?

Granite surface plate thickness accuracy?

Was wondering about the thickness accuracy of a surface plate. We all know about grade aa, a, and b accuracy pertaining to surface flatness, but does these standards also apply for thickness, lenght, width. Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by offabit2001 View Post
    Was wondering about the thickness accuracy of a surface plate. We all know about grade aa, a, and b accuracy pertaining to surface flatness, but does these standards also apply for thickness, lenght, width. Any input would be helpful. Thanks
    most plates ive seen are flat and squared 5 sides. i think the bottom is not usually lapped flat or parallel to any standard. at least not the cheap off the shelf ones.

Wow

Wow, thats interesting. I figured for some stupid reason the tolerances were for all sides and demensions. Now thinking about it, that seems alittle to costly to produce at such a cheap price. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by offabit2001 View Post
    Wow, thats interesting. I figured for some stupid reason the tolerances were for all sides and demensions. Now thinking about it, that seems alittle to costly to produce at such a cheap price. Thanks for the info.
    im sure some are all sides, like small ones used for metrology or risers. im more refering to the table top type, where the bottom is generally of no consequence.

Please precise what you are planning.
    See my new 5 axis gantry mill on progress. There I use (pressed polymer) granite panels.
    Mostly granite panels made for construction, kitchen, art ... I have been in factory and seen several stone workshops. Even when cnc machines they have bit another grip about accuracy - production has good looks but afar off high precisions. You will turn white when see "measuring devices" they use when showing off about their "perfect accuracy"
    About surface - mostly it is as perfect as it looks. Bottom near never perfect and not parallel to surface
    For high accuracy these panels and plates must to be especially made in special places by special men for special money and/or you have to be smart enough when installing/assembling.
    Regards,
    Herbert

personally, I'd serious doubt the sides are square/parallel to any degree of accuracy.....else why can you by a small Starrett plate at a fraction of the price of a even smaller Starrett granite square if the plate contains a squareness reference.

ok, grabbed a master square and the checked a Starrett plate - front to top is out like 1/16's of an inch (over 6") not much doubt about that, lol. so, no when you buy a standard surface plate, you're buying one very flat surface and that's it

[QUOTE=Mcgyver;649913]ok, grabbed a master square and the checked a Starrett plate - front to top is out like 1/16's of an inch (over 6") not much doubt about that, lol.

Ha,Ha,Ha. That's crazy. Here I was thinking maybe .001 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jashprecision View Post
    Yes! The size dimensions are all in line with the prevailing standards, like for example Grade 0, 1, & 2 are offered as per IS 7327-91 and Grade 00 is being offered as per DIN 876.

We are into this trade since last 5 decades. to know more please visit our website www.jashmetrology.com

You are free to contact me for more details.

Thanks & regards

Deepali Bakshi
    [email protected]

STOP SPAMMING EVERY thread that mentions surface plates or scraping with your CRAP.

is there someone watching who can ban this guy, he's just spamming his ads into threads. Of course i'm sure its top quality stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    STOP SPAMMING EVERY thread that mentions surface plates or scraping with your CRAP.

is there someone watching who can ban this guy, he's just spamming his ads into threads. Of course i'm sure its top quality stuff
    Wonder what the shipping cost would be for Madhya Pradesh lol