586,390 active members*
2,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 5/6 axis build Got a ways into it. Now what

5/6 axis build Got a ways into it. Now what

Well a few years ago I started building a smaller machine than my last one. The new one has a working envelope of 4'x5'x4' It is designed to be belt driven on the X and y and has a fast ball screw for the 4' Z. The 5 axis head is a 16:1 belt driven design. X,y, and Z all run on THK or NSK slides. Most of the frame is 4"x4" x 3/16" wall square tubing.
    Motors are 850 oz/in Nema 34 Servos with 500 count quad encoders. Drives are Gecko 320's. Controller and Power are from Foothill designs. A PSC-1500.

Well that's the basics. Below will be some pictures.
    It's been over 2 years since I ave worked on this. I either need to get back on it or sell it and free up some space in my shop. All parts have been bought for it. Just need to finish building the gearboxes and belt systems and do the 5 axis head. All the design work is done.

I guess I'm looking for some encouragement to finish it or someone to make me a offer and take it off my hands.

Donny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5 axis Router Z axis Mounted2.jpg   5 axis Router Z axis Mounted3.jpg   5 axis Router Z axis Mounted4.jpg   5 axis Router Z axis Mounted5.jpg  

5 axis Router Z axis Mounted6.jpg   5 axis Router Z axis Mounted7.jpg   New Carver start of Z axis6.jpg   servo power supply3.jpg  

Wow, you better finish that man. I am pretty sure there are plenty of details an lots of work ahead but it looks like so much of the heavy physical work out of the way to not finish it. Do you own a five axis cam package? Nice job! What were you planning to cut out with it?

I want to do something exactly like that... I have servos on the way, and have spec'd ball screws to get (1500, 1000, and 600 mm), but have not ordered them yet... Where are you located?

Wow... Yea, I'd say you need to finish that bad boy. I know how it is though to loose motivation in the middle of a project. If you do decide to sell it, you should at least get it working in a 3 or 4 axis setting. You'll get a more for it and who knows maybe inspire you to finish it. Nice job so far and I'd really like to see more.

Yeah I know I Should finish it. Biggest problem is it has been 2 years and I have forgotten lots.
    Attached is a image of the 16:1 gearbox I designed for the belt drive in x and y.

Donny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gearbox.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver View Post
    Yeah I know I Should finish it. Biggest problem is it has been 2 years and I have forgotten lots.
    Attached is a image of the 16:1 gearbox I designed for the belt drive in x and y.

Donny
    what the ratio per gear/pulley
    in your 2 stage gear box
    can i see some more details on it pls.

I was hopeful that Cnctoolkit was gonna turn out better for a cam program. But like most things like that it was not the case. I have Deskproto and used it for 4 axis work. I think they have a 5 axis upgrade now. Visualmill same thing.
    I wanted to carve statues out of foam and wood. Such as a mermaid holding up a seashell for a bathroom sink. Stuff like that.
    I am located in North Idaho near Spokane,WA if anybody want to have a look at it or wants to help.

The gearbox is just a 16:1 configuration. two sets of 4:1 timing pulleys. I think that is what doughty drive used inside his 5 axis heads. I was playing with the idea before I knew of his existence.

If anyone is looking for motors drives slides or a 3 axis lathe I have some up on ebay. Maybe if it sells that will encourage me to finish this one. Two many projects right now doing a little liquidation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

whiteriver,

Dude, you havn't posted in about 2 years!

I use to go to your website & look at all the cool stuff you made, your sites been down for a while.

I always admire the images you posted in the Photo Gallery, here on cnczone.

Welcome back!
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Yeah I used to do allot of interesting things. Right now work is non existent so there is no money. I think I will need to put this little machine up for sale.
    It comes with all the bearings belts and pulleys to make the gear boxes.
    Motors drives encoders and power supplies for 3 axis included.
    As noted above all three axis are in and moving on thk and nsk slides.
    I have a couple smaller servos for the B and C axis. I think I have 500 count encoders for those also.

I'll take $3500 for it all. You haul. If you ever wanted to have a large volume machine this is a good start without much investment.

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver View Post
    Yeah I used to do allot of interesting things. Right now work is non existent so there is no money. I think I will need to put this little machine up for sale.
    It comes with all the bearings belts and pulleys to make the gear boxes.
    Motors drives encoders and power supplies for 3 axis included.
    As noted above all three axis are in and moving on thk and nsk slides.
    I have a couple smaller servos for the B and C axis. I think I have 500 count encoders for those also.

I'll take $3500 for it all. You haul. If you ever wanted to have a large volume machine this is a good start without much investment.

Donny
    I am still interested, but I still don't know where you are located. Doesn't look like something that the Post Office would be interested in shipping...

The 7th post in this thread say the location.

Would have been faster to type "North Idaho", wouldn't it? Anyway, too far for me to pick up. Good luck with the sale!