586,388 active members*
3,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LT10M parts catcher

LT10M parts catcher

I have been having a lot of trouble with a parts catcher on an Okuma LT10m with an OSP7000L control. I cant seem to figure out how to bring the W axis up and drop a part in the bucket. When i send and M77 code in my transfer and cut off sub program I get an alarm. From what I have read System parameter long word 3 is the chute position but I don't know how to bring the axis to that position. This is a used machine and I have just had to figure it out and I am just about at my wits end so any help would be great. THANKS

You can check M63 code - general no answer. It could help to act parts catcher without some safety confirmations.
    You check the parameter description. Maybe there is some, related to part catcher interlock.
    What message do You receive exactly?
    I don't know how to bring the axis to that position
    have You tried G0 XB=555 W555?
    sure, You can change Your W cordinate to what is present if that fits.

You are going to want to use a G145 on both turrets to allow the W-axis commands to be used. G144 turns it off. The parameter you are talking about is the position that the W can come up to before you get the alarm. It is used to protect the parts catcher from being crushed by the R spindle. You will need to look at the W position in your actual position display and enter the desired number as machine coordinates ( to eliminate zero set issues) and do it without the decimal. This will create a "zone" to protect the catcher - very nice!

I am using a transfer subprogram to call up the W axis. I just don't know I tried setting the parameter but it always reset when the program started running to the number it was set at to begin with. An AE from Okuma was absolutly no help. I understand why the safety issue is there and I am sure it is an easy fix when ever I put my finger on it. Should I be calling the catcher off the R spindle side?

Typically I call it from the A-side program on the L spindle. That way when I do a program prove out, I can run individual A and with block delete on it skips the transfer and with it off it does the transfer without needing to do anything with B except make sure there is clearance. If your numbers are going back to a different value than what you have them set at, you may have some system variable commands in the program that are changing it while running. What specific number is changing? Check for something like VZOFW in the program which would change the Zero set on the W-axis. All system variables start with V so search the program carefully for them. Another question, can you move the spindle to the parts catcher manually? If yes, then your long word #3 is OK and it is most likely your program. You will also want to check to see if your parameter bit for "Parts catcher receive from L-Spindle" is on and that the spindle rotation interlock for the parts catcher is turned off.

My parameter bit 56 number 6 is is set to receive from the right spindle my VZOFW is set at the pickoff position and picks off fine. If I try to manually move the W axis forward with the parts catcher out it alarms right away so if that tells you any thing.

What alarm are you getting? I'm suspecting that your W-axis parts catcher position isn't set properly. You should be able to move the W forward with the catcher down, but not be able to run into it. That is the long word #3 you mentioned earlier. It must be set to get the catcher to advance with the W forward. Set # 56 to receive from the L-spindle. It will help to get rid of some other alarms based on my experience.

I figured it out. I changed the bit 56 to recieve from B spindle to A since I am calling it from the A side and set long word 1 to where I wanted to stop the W axis and long word 2 to the ZB positive limit for catcher and it worked so it was backwards for what I was reading in the books thanks for your help I am sure you will hear back from me.

it was backwards for what I was reading in the books
    that's japanese way of thinking. There are a lot in the japanese manuals.