586,125 active members*
2,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > what diameter size for ballscrew?

what diameter size for ballscrew?

I have nema 34 HB stepper 1600 oz and looking for a ballscrew to match it but don't know the size diameter of the ballscrew can someone help me?

You need to look at your application rather than match the ball screw to your motor.
    You need to look at the length, load and speed you need.
    Ball screws can take a lot of load, but what causes problems is the longer the screw the slower you can turn it before it starts to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by 15mgtar View Post
    I have nema 34 HB stepper 1600 oz and looking for a ballscrew to match it but don't know the size diameter of the ballscrew can someone help me?
    Zapp Automation Ltd
    www.slidesandballscrews.com

Ic thanks,
    well I just purchase a ballscrew and ballnuts and now I need to take out the ballnuts from the ballscrew, how can I do that?

btw very nice store you have there Zappautomation, got tons of stuff there.

If you got a mandrel (Tube) with the ball screw and nut, you can fit this over the machined end and of the screw and then screw the nut off of the end of the screw onto the mandrel.
    Once you have it on the mandrel make sure you dont let if come off of the mandrel or the balls will fall out.
    Thanks for the complement.

Ic thanks,
    well I just purchase a ballscrew and ballnuts and now I need to take out the ballnuts from the ballscrew, how can I do that?

btw very nice store you have there Zappautomation, got tons of stuff there.
    Zapp Automation Ltd

Zappautomation I don't really understand it. Are you saying put a smaller diameter cylinder behind the ballscrew and unscrew the nut to the cylinder?
    I really need to get those 3 ballscrews lathed.

Why do you need to remove the nut to turn them?
    I turn all mine without the hassle of removing and reloading a ball nut.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

As al mentioned, machining the ball screw with the nut on should not be a problems, but just get the nut as close as possible.
    Zapp Automation Ltd

the lathe pipe is about 40mm in diameter and the ballnut w/ flange is about 65mm so I can't get the ballnut close to jaw of the lathe machine.

That is ok, have the ball nut on the other site of the lathe, just put it as close to the lathe as possible.
    Zapp Automation Ltd

I just reloaded a double turn ball nut and believe me if you can turn them without removing the nut you will be glad you did.
    BTW, If you ever have to reload from scratch, measure the ball dia on several balls, I am glad I did as it had a common method of every other ball being a few thou smaller, this is in order to stop binding when operating.
    So you have to divide them into distinct piles when reloading.:tired:
    Al.

Albert E.

Guys, what rpm should I set to turn the ballscrew with the nuts on? around 170 enough?
    btw the seller is going to give me a collar for removing the ballnut, should I take it off?
    I'm tempting to machined them myself but then again the parts are imported and expensive maybe I'll have the expert do them ( but then again I don't know any experts here that does that since everyone claims they are expert machinist)

Sorry, im not a machinist so cant help you.
    I have attached the standard machining details that may help.

Guys, what rpm should I set to turn the ballscrew with the nuts on? around 170 enough?
    btw the seller is going to give me a collar for removing the ballnut, should I take it off?
    I'm tempting to machined them myself but then again the parts are imported and expensive maybe I'll have the expert do them ( but then again I don't know any experts here that does that since everyone claims they are expert machinist)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Zapp Automation Ltd

I'm not a machinist either but I can turn some basic things with a rookie quality. Well I think I'm just going to send them to the machinist hope I can find the right one here. Thanks for all your help guys.

I am not a machinist either, I had a Taiwanese Hiwin I did not want to take a chance on and a machinist friend of mine turned it, he told me it was hardened all the way through and he had to use ceramic tooling.
    Al.

Albert E.

oh btw Al what kind of oil should I use for the ballscrew ballnut? I have a hard time finding the oil every vendor I ask they would give me grease. Can I just use motor oil? you know the one for your car. Also can I use the same oil to lubricate my slide bearing unit?

I use Vactra2 way lube oil.
    Al.

Albert E.

Ok I have the collar ( tube ) to remove the ballnut from the ballscrew. My question is how hard is it to actually remove and put back in without damaging or making the balls falls off? I don't dare to do it yet cause last thing I want to see is the little balls falling to the floor.

I have never use this method but I would imagine that the tube dia. will be the root diameter of the BS.
    I would think you will need to make sure the tube is kept tight against the BS. while turning the nut off on to the tube.
    I also think the 'Fun' part will come on winding it back on, it seems it will be essential to keep the pressure on the tube the whole time.
    Al.

Albert E.

Removing and re fitting is actually quite easy, and is as Al described it.
    Remember to allways put presure on the mandrel as you turn the nut, so to keep constant contact between the mandrel and ball screw.
    If you get a gap, you will drop a ball.
    Ok I have the collar ( tube ) to remove the ballnut from the ballscrew. My question is how hard is it to actually remove and put back in without damaging or making the balls falls off? I don't dare to do it yet cause last thing I want to see is the little balls falling to the floor.
    Zapp Automation Ltd

ok thank you guys!