587,028 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

plasma router swap out

I am thinking about removing the spindle on my router table and replacing with a plasma head. Has anybody done this? Ideas? suggestions?

lots of people do dual purpose or something like that

make sure no SAWDUST or anything near as it would start on fire

I honestly am a big fan on waterbed if you could modify your table to add waterbed for plasma dust/fume i would suggest you do that..

hope those info helps

Cheers
    Dan

Swapping the cutting heads is the easy part. Then you have to deal with the cut surface (can't exactly cut with plasma on top of MDF or a solid surface) and the nasty smoke and dust from vaporized metal floating around.

Once you have that part all dialed in you then need to consider how you are going to control the Z doing plasma cutting and still keep it functional for a router in the future.

Cutting with plasma is a lot different that running a router. I most circumstances it's easier to go the other way if you have a full 3axis machine (from plasma to router) because you can lay a spoil board on top of the plasma grid and run the same electronics as the plasma uses.

TOM Caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

I was in the process of making my plasma table dual purpose. I didn't get too far before another project crept up and has been taking up all of my time, but here are some pictures. First one is of my Z-axis floating head with no torch attached. Second is of the z-axis slightly modified to accept a Hitachi router I had.

Thanks for the posts. I removed the tabletop on my router (4x8 Vortech Router) It is 3 axis. They actually overbuild their tables with a set of cross bars that should act as a grid bed underneath their router tabletop. It is open and I think it will be good for plasma cutting.

I need to mount a plasma head to my z head..

I'll update after I run it.

PLasma on your Vortech Router

Quote Originally Posted by ghebard View Post
    Thanks for the posts. I removed the tabletop on my router (4x8 Vortech Router) It is 3 axis. They actually overbuild their tables with a set of cross bars that should act as a grid bed underneath their router tabletop. It is open and I think it will be good for plasma cutting.

I need to mount a plasma head to my z head..

I'll update after I run it.

G,
    Can you let me know how this works out with the Vortech? I might try it with mine

Also does the plasma actually turn on and off when not cutting or does the zaxis rise and lower like a router head?

Sorry if that is a stoopid question. I have seen projects that were cut on plasma but I've never seen one actually run.

it has to turn on and off the plasma otherwise ur consumable will die really really quick

there is wiring on how to turn it on and off