586,363 active members*
3,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > question about mounting linear bearing OT

question about mounting linear bearing OT

I have two linear bearing open type for 40 mm shaft. Do you know if is possible to mount them on their side? Thanks in advance.

You can mount them on the side. You won't get the best load ratings that way though. Much better load bearing ability when the split is toward the pull of gravity.
    Lee

If I don't get the best load ratings mouting on its side then any recommendation how to mount them on the Y axis?

Your Y axis won't carry as much load as the X anyway, but will get some deflection or pressure in the middle. Run a beam and mount one on top and the other upside down is one way.

Another way is to mount both on top and have the router in between. This is a road less traveled, but one I chose and it worked out great. Very rigid.
    Lee

"Another way is to mount both on top and have the router in between" << I think I will go with this one but I don't have a clue to how the Z axis will be mount on the Y axis in that configuration, if you have any drawing or pic that will be great. Thanks LeeWay.

I didn't use those type ways, but you can see my router build here.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...2&page=1&pp=40

I did use the router between the rails concept. Loose a little travel that way, but I still got what I needed to. Actually about 4" bigger than I needed. I can tell you that there is no flex at all in my gantry. It would put a buldge in my table if the Z motor was strong enough.

You also have a shorter gantry which adds to the rigidity and removes some of the leveraging that taller ones can have.

Ultimately using this concept, raising the X rails to make the table in a trough works perhaps the best I think. Check out the Mechmate. It is built in this fashion and is pretty stout.
    Lee

very impressive work Lee nice machine!
    Thanks for sharing.