586,593 active members*
3,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My Tormach Video

I'll be adding more of these as I actually make progress on designing parts.

I started with a cut & drill pattern that I didn't really buy the machine for. This was something I used to cut manually with a router. I figured MDF was safer to learn on than aluminum or steel.

Program was written in BobCAD. The original part was designed in Alibre. I imported the part as an IGES file into BobCAD, projected the 2D features and planned all my cuts off of that 2D geometry. This was a fairly simple first part that had a couple round features, with a 2.5D profile and then a simple drilling operation at the end. The video is only the drilling portion.

Overall... I'm tickled pink. It has been a long road to producing my first real part but I feel pretty good about the results. The rest should come much easier.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFJ7uCC1IA"]YouTube - Kepler Starter Holes[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    I started with a cut & drill pattern that I didn't really buy the machine for.
    So are you going to use it to prototype new woofer frames then?

Nice video. Congratulations on your first job! That baffle is 7.6 inches wide where you're gripping it, judging from the Parts Express PDF. That must be one heck of a vise you're using to hold it, because you haven't repositioned the moving jaw.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    So are you going to use it to prototype new woofer frames then?

Nice video. Congratulations on your first job! That baffle is 7.6 inches wide where you're gripping it, judging from the Parts Express PDF. That must be one heck of a vise you're using to hold it, because you haven't repositioned the moving jaw.

Randy
    I bought the machine to do various electronic enclosures. This is a part that I used to cut manually with a router. It was a simple part with simple cuts and I figured it was a logical part to learn on. The fact that it is MDF and that it has less of a chance of damaging my tooling was a factor too.

That vice is the Parlec unit I bought from Enco. I had to modify the front shield of the Tormach but it fits right on there. The part is 8.5" wide, 14" long and 1" thick. I just uploaded my second video. This is the entire part, from the blank starting point. I need to modify my plunge rate (it breaks out in back) but otherwise it is perfect. I'm going to use this machine a ton.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEaUGzg3smk"]YouTube - PICT0002[/ame]