586,131 active members*
2,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Plasma, EDM / Other similar machine Project Log > Damo's CNC Oxy/Acet table - In the planning stage for now!

Damo's CNC Oxy/Acet table - In the planning stage for now!

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so Mods feel free to move it if need be.

Basically as I have no where to start building this thing at the moment i'll be putting my ideas here so I have everything in one place. With any luck some people that know more than me will chime in and help me out with some advice if what I have planned won't work.
    Damen Stevens
    Brisbane, Australia.
    "Measure, then cut, then swear, then measure & cut again"

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13958

Rollers

OK, so after a bit of looking around on this site, and some head scratching of my own I came up with this.

Everything there is pretty much to scale, except for the bolts that the rollers will run on, they'd have to be a bit bigger to stop them flexing. What i'm most interested in getting comments on is using the angle for a track for the rollers, and are plastic/poly rollers going to do the job? What is there reliability over time going to be like? What about skateboard wheels? Or should I just get some machined out of steel?

Cheers,

Damo.
    Damen Stevens
    Brisbane, Australia.

how often are u planning on using that machine.. with all heat i would try avoid using poly my opinon

why not get some spb bearing and hardened shaft
    $$ ?

Quote Originally Posted by DanOSB
    why not get some spb bearing and hardened shaft
    $$ ?
    The reason I want to go this way is low cost, and I can make it myself. As with most of the stuff I do a majority of the reason I do it is the satisfaction of the DIY factor. It does of course have to work...

how often are u planning on using that machine.. with all heat i would try avoid using poly my opinon
    I imagine that if I actually build this thing that it will get a reasonable amount of use. Not industrial use, just stuff like brackets etc. In any case I can't see the heat being an issue. For starters the closest the flame should come to the rollers is about 200mm (about 8"). And on top of that there will be a splash guard as a part of the table to stop slag & spatter from depositing itself on the rollers or rail. I am doing this because I also intend to run a belt drive in the same space.

What is spb bearing by the way?

Cheers,

Damo.
    Damen Stevens
    Brisbane, Australia.

super pillow block

you could get a 1/2 inch one from ebay for quite cheap.. use hardened shaft.. and they are pretty accurate and straight.. less hassle my opinion

go to ebay and search for super pillow block or thomson bearing or few other keywords

super pillow block

you could get a 1/2 inch one from ebay for quite cheap.. use hardened shaft.. and they are pretty accurate and straight.. less hassle my opinion

go to ebay and search for super pillow block or thomson bearing or few other keywords
    Checked those out, they look pretty good. Would I need some fairly decent dia hardened shaft for a 1500mm (60") span??
    Damen Stevens
    Brisbane, Australia.

not really you could get by with 1/2 inch shaft but need some support every now then so it doesnt deflect

i would stick wtih 1/2 inch or 1 inch shaft instead of getting super big shaft since the price does go up.. hope that helps..

my table will be 5'6 by 10'6 cutting area and the shaft will be 12' and 6' with support every 8 inch.. this table im building is very accurate and im fussy since i plan to use it everyday for business..