586,812 active members*
8,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trying to learn!

Hi guys, I am new here as I just bought a Minitech Minimill/2. Serial number 10206. I'm guessing this machine is over 20 years old, but is in excallent condition! Of course it still has the old controller and the 150oz. round Slo/syn steppers. I am a patent attorney, not a cnc expert... so here I go with my questions:

1. I plugged the machine in, loaded Mach3 on it, and (shockingly) I was able to set the software up and even tune the steppers and was able to jog all three axis'... and even run one of the sample programs that came with Mach3. I still have a lot to learn about setting stops, limits, everything. At least I was able to get the mill working. This thing is built like a tank and I think it was only used to machine very soft materials in a medical R&D environment. Ok, I have read as much as I can find on this machine (I even got the original owner's manual that talks about running an old dos program). The built in controller and separate DC power supply are the originals, but they work. I plan on making items out of aluminum for a hobby. Are these steppers even close to being large enough to do this? Keep in mind that I do not particularly care if I have to take small cuts at the workpiece. Would I be better to throw the controllers and steppers in the trash and purchase a new controller and steppers? If so, which ones to buy? From what I have read, the Gecko 540 seems to be pretty good. Are there any steppers that will bolt right on?

2. What other kind of software do I need? I'm guessing a good CAD software package and a complementary CAM package. I have seen that a lot of people here use Meshcam for the CAD portion. What are most of you using? Also, I have researched many different kinds of CAD software but quite frankly I am overwhelmed and don't really understand what I need. And ideas? I am not Bill Gates, so I have to keep a dollar limit for my new hobby.

3. Are there any books I can read to come up tp speed? I have to tell you that this all seems like magic to me. Is the learning curve so steep that I need to get some formal training?

Thanks in advance guys. I'd gladly swap some patent advice for some CNC advice!

Best regards,

Tony

Why break up / upgrade something that is obviously working now and that you haven't discovered it's limitations yet? Yes the steppers may be undersized 'spec' wise but if they perform - carry on camping!
    The G540 is a very good controller and will perform with larger steppers than you have but with a PSU, motors et al it's a $500 upgrade!
    Dunno about other cad/cam packages as most out of my £££ / $$$ range so I went with Dolphin - good freebie demo and user friendly cad + cam package & good support i've found!

Tony
    I wouldn't upgrade it right now.
    As for cad/cam software take a look at cambam they have a free version that you can learn on. save your money for tooling and measuring tools.
    I'd start out doing 2d parts learn what takes to drill a hole where you want it
    There are books out there that will guide though the process But as to which is the best I can't tell you. I started out in tech school and been running machines and programing them for 35+years and I'm still learning.
    If there is a tech school near you check to see if they offer evening classes
    I always liked hands on learning the best.
    If you live in the central Pa. area let me know I'd be glad to help you out.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kweierbach View Post
    Tony
    I wouldn't upgrade it right now.
    As for cad/cam software take a look at cambam they have a free version that you can learn on. save your money for tooling and measuring tools.
    I'd start out doing 2d parts learn what takes to drill a hole where you want it
    There are books out there that will guide though the process But as to which is the best I can't tell you. I started out in tech school and been running machines and programing them for 35+years and I'm still learning.
    If there is a tech school near you check to see if they offer evening classes
    I always liked hands on learning the best.
    If you live in the central Pa. area let me know I'd be glad to help you out.
    Kevin
    Thanks, I appreciate the two responses I've received so far. I will check out that softeware. I had a specific invention I would like to build which will have some 3d aspects. I have been drafting on a litte CAD system I have for many years, so I "kind of" know how to draw at least in 2d.. What I need is a way to get up and going so I can quickly find what I do not know. At least if I can grasp what it takes to at least get up and running I can go from there. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!

Oh, and I live in the Indianapolis area. Nevertheless, thanks for the offer to help!

Finding out what you don't know is a misnomer. Once you find out, you know.
    The absolute bets advice I have to give will likely be the worst received. Read this site!
    It is only because of this place that I can do what I do and now know what I know. Asking questions that are more specific will garner the best results.
    I agree that no upgrade on your stuff is need until you see what it can do.

My experience has been varied. I have always got the job done with the initial chosen equipment, but it was generally on the lower end of what could have been done for a bit more cash. Your machine may be able to do what you want sooner than you think. Just read and reread this site. It is all here. Welcome aboard.
    Lee

If it aint broke...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDee64 View Post
    Hi guys, I am new here as I just bought a Minitech Minimill/2. Serial number 10206. I'm guessing this machine is over 20 years old, but is in excallent condition! Of course it still has the old controller and the 150oz. round Slo/syn steppers. I am a patent attorney, not a cnc expert... so here I go with my questions:

I plan on making items out of aluminum for a hobby. Are these steppers even close to being large enough to do this? Keep in mind that I do not particularly care if I have to take small cuts at the workpiece. Would I be better to throw the controllers and steppers in the trash and purchase a new controller and steppers? If so, which ones to buy? From what I have read, the Gecko 540 seems to be pretty good. Are there any steppers that will bolt right on?

[150 oz-in isn't the most powerful stepper motor in the world, but if this setup is working for you now, see what it can do before scrapping it. The oz-in figure is holding torque at standstill, but there are other figures that are relevant as well, like inductance (lower inductance means the motor is more responsive) and the speed/torque curve (stepper motors lose torque as they accellerate faster).

Get some aluminum, fasten it to the bed, and try cutting it. To start with, you can give it simple G-code commands like G01X5.0F5. (If you're at X=0, this tells the machine to go 5 units in the x-positive direction, at a speed of 5 inches per minute.) Check to see if it really went that far. If it all looks good, position your tool (this would usually be an endmill) so that will cut on the side of your piece of aluminum (which is easier than plunging into the middle), turn on the spindle, and give it a command like the one above. See if it does as well when actually cutting as it did in air. If it fails to do that, then you're probably pushing it too hard - either take a lighter cut, or reduce the speed. You should be able to figure out pretty quickly what your machine is capable of, and what will make it lose steps, which is something you want to avoid.]

2. What other kind of software do I need? I'm guessing a good CAD software package and a complementary CAM package. I have seen that a lot of people here use Meshcam for the CAD portion. What are most of you using? Also, I have researched many different kinds of CAD software but quite frankly I am overwhelmed and don't really understand what I need. And ideas? I am not Bill Gates, so I have to keep a dollar limit for my new hobby.

[There's a lot of different CAD and CAM software in the world, ranging in price from free to tens of thousands of dollars. It's easy to get overwhelmed. (Meshcam, by the way, is CAM, not CAD). CAD software defines your part in 2d or 3d, depending on the program; CAM software turns it into a toolpath your mill can execute. If your mind works best in 2d, you can start with programs that are limited to that, and work up to 3d. Or you can take the plunge and start with a 3d program, which generally will have 2d capabilities as well. If you're penniless and eager to learn, you can start by trying all the free programs you can find until you click with one of them. If you have a harder time learning things, some money, and limited time, it's best to identify a program that will do everything you're likely to want, and dig in.

If your time is worth anything, the major investment you'll be making is the time that it takes to learn to use the program, which will typically stretch into hundreds of hours. So it's a false economy to purchase an inferior program just because it's cheap, wasting a lot of time learning something that ultimately won't do what you need. Look for well-regarded programs that offer free demos, so you can see if you get along with them before plunking down your cash. Here are a couple: Rhino (www.rhino3d.com) will work for 25 saves before it times out. It's a 3d CAD program with a lot of functions for all sorts of applications from 2d drawing to compound-curved 3d surfaces. DeskProto (www.deskproto.com) is a 3d CAM program with support for a rotary 4th axis, with a simple interface but enough power to handle large and complex files. The demo you can download from their site will last for 30 days, and will produce G-code files you can try out on your machine.]

3. Are there any books I can read to come up tp speed? I have to tell you that this all seems like magic to me. Is the learning curve so steep that I need to get some formal training?

[It's a lot like magic, but I haven't seen a book that has all the spells and potions. You're better off reading manuals for specific programs and machines than trying to find one source for everything. There is certainly a learning curve, but the formal training I've seen tends to focus on certain very expensive programs used in industry (schools get them a lot cheaper), rather than the consumer-level ones mere mortals can afford.]

Thanks in advance guys. I'd gladly swap some patent advice for some CNC advice!

Best regards,

Tony
    [I might take you up on that...]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thanks Awerby!

I'll try that! You guys are awesome.. at least now I feel like I have taken my first baby steps to actually accomplishing something!

Tony,

Give us a little more information about what kind of parts you would like to make, that way we can give you better feedback.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Tony,

Give us a little more information about what kind of parts you would like to make, that way we can give you better feedback.

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Thanks Jeff,

I have an idea for a lock nut that fits at the top of a guitar. This unit will essentially be comprised of many small parts that will have sloping angles, valleys for the guitar strings, and apertures. I will need to be able to machine the top planar surface, and then flip the item over and machine the bottom of each portion. I just went out and took a look at Cambam. As a cad I think it's pretty basic (at least the version I was able to download). I need to have the ability to actually draw somehwhat complex shapes in 3d.. or would 2.5D be enough for me? Any other suggestions?