586,403 active members*
2,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Computer Technology > Computers / Desktops / Networking > Need help installing windows 95 - cdrom wont read

Need help installing windows 95 - cdrom wont read

I formatted my windows 95 machine today. I am going to use it in dos mode to run Turbocnc for my homemade cnc router. I formatted it so that I could do a fresh install of Win95 as I knew I had lots of garbage on this machine that was know longer needed.

I was able to formate the drive and reboot the system. From dos prompt, I can type in d: and it will give me a d: command prompt like it is recognizing the cd drive. When I type in dir to get a directory of whats on the disk (which is my win95 disk) it says that it cannot read from the drive.

I thought that it was a bad drive and tried a spare that I had setting around and I got the same thing. Is it possible that I have 2 bad cd drives or am I missing something simple?

Thanks

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Their may not be any drivers loaded that support your CD drive, do you have a install floppy disk? Did you create a dos partition and make it active?

Do you want to bother with windows if you just need dos, Paul posted the link to the MSDOS 7.1 a while ago http://newdos.yginfo.net/msdos71/index.htm
    It has a flash screen on boot up and allows long file names as well as a few utilities.
    You still have to high level format the HD as well as set a partition as has been stated.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

try a win98 se bootdisk it has better cdrom drivers http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Do I need Windows?

Well I guess I really don't know. I am using a Windows XP machine in the house with TurboCad and will be using TurboCNC on my Garage machine to run the CNC router.

What I need then is:

1. Some type of converter software to turn the cad drawings into G code. Any recommendations here? Should this be on the XP machine or Dos Machine?

2. A way to tranfer the files from the Xp Machine in the house to the dos machine in the shop. Will simple files fit on a floppy disk or will the file size be to big? That is the main reason why I wanted to get the cd rom working was to transfer files.

Thanks all
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    I formatted my windows 95 machine today. I am going to use it in dos mode to run Turbocnc for my homemade cnc router. I formatted it so that I could do a fresh install of Win95 as I knew I had lots of garbage on this machine that was know longer needed.

I was able to formate the drive and reboot the system. From dos prompt, I can type in d: and it will give me a d: command prompt like it is recognizing the cd drive. When I type in dir to get a directory of whats on the disk (which is my win95 disk) it says that it cannot read from the drive.

I thought that it was a bad drive and tried a spare that I had setting around and I got the same thing. Is it possible that I have 2 bad cd drives or am I missing something simple?

Thanks

Dan
    I'm going to guess that the win 95 boot disk creates a RAM disk, which your seeing as D: Your cd probably isn't being seen due to drivers not being loaded.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Go to bootdisk and look for a set of dos utils that will allow you too boot in dos with CD Rom support.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)