586,926 active members*
2,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shrink fit tooling

Has anyone done anything with shrink fit tooling?

I have a router and am sick of setting up tool bits with the collet. I have seen the Taig and Sherline end mill adapters but don't think that a system which involves grinding a flat spot on the tool and using a set screw will work at 20,000 plus rpm.

Hence the shrink fit idea. If an adapter could be made similar to the Taig and Sherline ones but used as a shrink fit, that'd solve my problem.

If the idea has merit, what should I make the adapters out of? Should the use the shoulder on the spindle for reference (a la Taig and Sherline adapters) or should they use the collet taper?

Dropout

Shrink fit tooling is a great choice for high-speed applications, but making your own toolholders for it will be costly and perhaps risky.

Material of choice should be one that can take many cycles of dull-red hot to cold without losing temper. Perhaps and 8620 or 4350 would be good choice. Concentricity tolerance of the shank mount surface to the tool mounting bore is super-critical for balance issues, and the tool should be ground to spec on a good I.D/O.D. grinder.

What configuration is the the current tool holders? Straight shank or tapers?

Quote Originally Posted by PixMan View Post
    Shrink fit tooling is a great choice for high-speed applications, but making your own toolholders for it will be costly and perhaps risky.

Material of choice should be one that can take many cycles of dull-red hot to cold without losing temper. Perhaps and 8620 or 4350 would be good choice. Concentricity tolerance of the shank mount surface to the tool mounting bore is super-critical for balance issues, and the tool should be ground to spec on a good I.D/O.D. grinder.

What configuration is the the current tool holders? Straight shank or tapers?

The current system is a collet in the spindle, no tool holders at all. I was thinking that a taper the same as the collet would work and then use a modified collet nut to hold the tool holder into the spindle. This would still require manual changes but would eliminate the need to zero out the Z axis each time a tool is changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    The current system is a collet in the spindle, no tool holders at all. I was thinking that a taper the same as the collet would work and then use a modified collet nut to hold the tool holder into the spindle. This would still require manual changes but would eliminate the need to zero out the Z axis each time a tool is changed.
    OK, I understand. Shrink fit tool holder don't really have positive way of locating length. Just what do the collets your machine uses look like? Are the single angle or double-angle style?

Your best bet (and most economical solution) is probably to first get length-qualified tooling. then devise a method of measurement to allow you to insert a new tool, take a measurement and input an offset. Otherwise known as a tool presetter Is this possible? What kind of adjustment method do you currently use for a new tool?