586,137 active members*
3,376 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Granite 1324 clogged with glue like grease

Granite 1324 clogged with glue like grease

Hello All:
    I have a Granite 1324 that I bought new in 2000, I have not used the machine a whole lot. I went out to use it tonight and the carriage is stuck and will not move. The lead screw is also stuck in place. The machine has always been well oiled with Mobil way oil no.2 and always covered with the Smithy cover. I did find some goop that had leaked out of the carriage gear box and it is as hard as hot melt glue. I took the cover off of the sead screw gear box and guess what? The gears are all clogged up with this goop. I suspect the chinese used a parafin based grease and there is nothing left but the parafin that is tough as nails, and I don't know anything that will take it off. Anybody ever see this or heard of this? Any help would be appreciated. I'm sure this is not an ISO grease!!
    Thanks Ed

If it is indeed parafin, you may try using a heat gun to warm it up and draing it. The other option I can think of is to disasemble the things and clean one part at a time.
    Lee

My motorbike used to get covered in tar from the road, oil residue that leaked from the cam cover then got boiled on the engine block.

I found a product called "gunk" which you paint on then wash off with water. the difference was like night and day.

I've got no connection with the product, but it blinking well worked a treat, and if it can clean a Z1100, it's certainly worth a thought!
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Problem found

Hello All:
    And thanks to those that responded to my post, both of you were right on the money. However it turns out it was not the crappy grease that stoped the machine, it was a gear with two teeth missing in the apron. My fault I evidently ran the working table to the stops with the power drive and broke two teeth off the no. 32 gear which fell in another gear and chiped a few teeth. I had no idea when it stopped that it ran out of travel! I turned it off and backed up the working table and made another pass and finished the work I was doing, and that was a year ago. The good news Smithy had all three gears in stock and they only cost $75.00 shipped. Can't beat that with a stick.
    Ed