586,395 active members*
2,820 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > project boards for surface mount?

project boards for surface mount?

Does anybody nsell projet boards that let u wire in a surface mount iC into a larger environment? After searching for an LED flasher that can run on 3v. and be slowed down to use in a small garden lighthouse, it appears that without a way to mount a tiny little IC this "perfect" circuit is unbuildable.
    http://www.edn.com/article/CA601829.html

Does anyone have a better idea for a slow flash LED flasher? The original electronics from this solar powered lighthouse were ruined with water and decay. Some parts are unidentifiable. It looks like a simple two transistor flasher, but there are added bits for the solar charger, and photo diode for dusk to dawn operation. Reverse engineering is further messed up due to all the leads breaking off from corrosion.

Here you go:
    http://www.schmartboard.com/index.as...ucts_sm&id=104

At 3V, there are probably a lot of options. Lots of microcontrollers will run down to 1.8V or so and obviously you could do about anything you wanted. Not sure if you are into microcontrollers though.

Matt

look down at the bottom of this page for generic SMT to DIP or wire boards:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=20

BobH

surface mount

Why not just do your own surface mount board, no holes to drill if single layer.
    there are lots of plans for toaster oven reflow solder stations and hot air rework irons. Solder paste, a syringe, magnifier, and tweezers is about all you need. Dips and through hole parts are rapidly vanishing and soldering a whole board at once is pretty slick
    Amplexus

I too looked at sparkfun. I am not sure if any of those have the right dimensions for an SC-70 chip. I think the closest is probably the SOT-23 but I didn't look to see how close they are.

I think .5mm pitch might be pushing the limits for a homemade board. I've never gone past SOIC with routed traces, seems it would be pretty tough to avoid ripping that little tiny pad loose from the board when milling.

I think this board might only need a few components. A decent soldering iron with a fine tip and some solder wick is about all you need for most instances. I have soldered some .5mm pitch components with only an iron and some wick.

Matt

You can do .5mm but need to etch the board (photoresist not iron on and watch the etch time.) I can't imagine doing it wirh a router. also a solder paste mask will make things easier especially if you are doing more than one. obviously a reflow oven as well.
    Amplexus

There's a place called Winslow AdaptICs who sell adaptors for most surface mount parts into a variety of through hole configurations. And if they haven't got what you're looking for, they will also do custom ones and simply add it to their catalogue.

I think the site is www.winslowadaptics.com (or .co.uk).

Cheers,

Schneckster