586,453 active members*
2,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Any Tormachs in the Palm Springs area?

Any Tormachs in the Palm Springs area?

I'm thinking about a CNC mill and am looking at the Tormach, looks like Syil and Novakon have too many problems for me. I want something that is ready to run right out of the box. I'm looking for some feedback and opinions. Thanks, Ron

Most likely
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Value for money, works fine, support is great. What more is there to say.

Read through this forum from the first thread and then come back with any outstanding questions.

The Tormach web site does jazz things up a bit but basically what you see on the site is what you get, there are no porkies.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post
    I'm thinking about a CNC mill and am looking at the Tormach, looks like Syil and Novakon have too many problems for me. I want something that is ready to run right out of the box. I'm looking for some feedback and opinions. Thanks, Ron

Smile PCNC

If you are looking for a reliable turnkey CNC system with high precision for all metals and the machining parts are smaller less than 12" X 8" X 6", there is system developed by ACT (Advanced Control Tech) in Los Angeles, California area. Please check WWW.ACTmachines.com for details

Peter, if you are promoting the ACT as a Tormach alternative, you would earn some credibility by duplicating any of the demo videos from the Tormach site. A 3/4" steel plate is finished on both sides. One side is a surface cut, the second side has 0.2" removed using 1.5" diameter face mill with high positive angle inserts. would be a good place to start. Thank you.

Randy

Desktop CNC Mill, ACT DMC-III

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    Peter, if you are promoting the ACT as a Tormach alternative, you would earn some credibility by duplicating any of the demo videos from the Tormach site. A 3/4" steel plate is finished on both sides. One side is a surface cut, the second side has 0.2" removed using 1.5" diameter face mill with high positive angle inserts. would be a good place to start. Thank you.

Randy
    It is a good idea to have some actual cutting video. ACT DMC-III is not a machine to replace the Tormach. ACT DMC-III is a high precision (repeatable 0.0002") for all metals, very compact weight only 260 lb. It is movable by 2 person without using forklift and suitable for smaller precision parts.

Speaking of the Palm Springs Area and since this thread is diverging from the Tormach topic: I was out at Desert Hot Springs this evening taking in the finest waters in the world. Two aquifers from the Little San Bernardino Mountains supply the hot and cold water there. I am sure if the Romans were at DHS they would have built a shrine to Aquae Sulis as they did in Bath.

Took this sunset picture:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...DHS-Sunset.jpg

Also saw this fellow: "All right, Mr. De Mille. I'm ready for my close-up BEEP BEEP."
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Roadrunner.jpg

BTW air temp ~98* F

Don

Have we diverged enough to go back to discussing the Tormach?

Interesting,

Some would consider the need for a forklift to move a machine as a plus and only 260 lbs as a negative.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by PeterACT View Post
    very compact weight only 260 lb. It is movable by 2 person without using forklift

I think that someone coming here on Tormach turf and promoting their machine is inviting a direct comparison of their machine to Tormach.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterACT View Post
    ACT DMC-III is a high precision (repeatable 0.0002") for all metals
    Is that actual machining repeatability or just no-load positioning repeatability? Is that unidirectional or bidirectional (i.e. going to a given point from different directions)? Peter, your machine looks like many other benchtop gantries--Isel, for one, has been making them for years and I used to own an Isel gantry which had preloaded anti-backlash ballscrews and linear bearings. It would easily repeat positioning, but actual machining involves machine, spindle and cutter stiffness.

The ACT patent (novel method of mounting a laser pointer to the head) is a non-issue for precision machining--as has been shown many times here on CNCZone, a laser pointer has nowhere near the accuracy needed (certainly not to 0.0002"!), and serves only as a gross estimate of position. That discounted, your machine appears as just another "me too". You should start your own thread in the "Benchtop Machines" area and explain what you have to offer, in concrete terms.

Randy