586,409 active members*
3,114 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: LR15-M

LR15-M

Hello - I am the new owner of an LR15-M with a few problems. The upper turret will rarely index to the correct position - it will slightly overshoot or undershoot the correct stopping postion and then not be able to clamp, resulting in an alarm. I am about to rip it all apart - any Okuma experts with suggestions for what to check? Also I get an SDU error (low input voltage) when I try to start the main spindle to a speed above 300 rpm from a standing start. I can get around it by calling G96 and feeding moderately to cut start postion allowing the spindle to ramp up smoothly - I can also take a satisfactory depth of cut with no issues - the alarm only occurs when starting from stopped. It also works better in M42 (high speed winding) than M41. Also - is the main motor coolong fan meant to run continuosly? I changed a bearing that was seized in the fan and replaced the associated fuse but I still have never had it come on once - this seems abnormal to me

and then not be able to clamp
    You can try to move (change if necessary) belt of turret motor. Maybe just this. Maybe bigger problem. Then the turret must be aligned properly first. Next - You unclamp the turret, and You index it to proper angle with pulse handle. After You need to run automatic turret angle offset procedure - when turret indexes continuously and finds all positions to clamp properly.
    suggestions for what to check?
    first You check if tapered pin holes are aligned. Normally one pair of pins must be taken out - then You can roughly align the turret just by simply pushing the pins in. Sometimes this "roughly" is quite enough accurate. You need to find next couple of pins. Take them away and check if they are not deformed by hit.
    an SDU error
    check if You wired the lathe by proper wires - must be copper and cross section enough to deliver sustainable power. Transformer wiring is important also. Check if it's correct. The last is main power supply unit in Control cabinet, which produces 200VDC for drive units. Check the voltage.
    is the main motor coolong fan meant to run continuosly?
    do You mean main spindle motor fan? It doesn't matters actually: all fans must work continuously on this machine. If there is one, which stops when not needed, it runs on power -up for approx 20 seconds. Only spindle cooling oil cooler fan runs with interruptions, and maybe hydraulic oil cooling fan also. Check the wiring and You find out, if the fan is powered from some intelligent device of just regular motor starter or power supply terminal.
    I changed a bearing that was seized in the fan and replaced the associated fuse
    You check the fan if it works just connecting it to proper voltage. Windings could be burned out if bearing was damaged.

Cool LR15

LR15 uses a encoder for turret position. There are dip switches on the control board to adjust rotation. I don't remember anymore, it's been 10+years.
    Spindle motor fan should always run.
    Someone posted 200VDC, no it's more like 300VDC, but thats only for the axis drives. You most likely have a VACII or Vac III spindle drive. They have internal DC link, not external. Are you running a external transformer? Okumas are very sensitive to the impedance of the transformer. You need to monitor your incoming power during spindle start. It should not drop below 200VAC. If thats good, you have a motor/drive unit problem. Oh, and YOU CAN NOT USE PHASE CONVERTERS WITH THIS TYPE OF MACHINE. just in case.

Oh, and i have a crate full of LR15 VDI turning tool holders if your interested.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Oh, and i have a crate full of LR15 VDI turning tool holders if your interested.
    nice spam it's a good thing Rouche ignores us Okuma guys

Hi LR 15 has hydraulic motor and resolver positioning system. Mechanicaly keys damaged or belt loosen or loose bolts can cause this. Also you have to adjust check turret positions. In same position overshoot or no. Then check resolver .