586,409 active members*
3,036 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Can anyone identify my Series 1 CNC machine?

Can anyone identify my Series 1 CNC machine?

I just bought a old CNC machine from s shop that was closing down. Here's what I know.

It's a series 1 dovetail style machine. The serial # is CNC 1555. It has a J head serial# J2074250

The computer portion has an assembly# A025275 & a serial# 1614

I was hoping to find out what it is. I have not wired it up yet and don't even know for sure if it works.

How old is it? What is it (it kind of looks like a BOSS 6, but I don't see the word BOSS on it anywhere.

THANKS!!! in advance.

can you

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    I just bought a old CNC machine from s shop that was closing down. Here's what I know.

It's a series 1 dovetail style machine. The serial # is CNC 1555. It has a J head serial# J2074250

The computer portion has an assembly# A025275 & a serial# 1614

I was hoping to find out what it is. I have not wired it up yet and don't even know for sure if it works.

How old is it? What is it (it kind of looks like a BOSS 6, but I don't see the word BOSS on it anywhere.

THANKS!!! in advance.
    Would it be possible to get some photos of your new Toy? Im no expert but I know that will help. Especially if someone has the same one and knows exactly what it is.
    I may be no expert but I do want to make goo goo eyes at it! Hey I can dream of my own one day! Take a look and scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.minitechcnc.com/R3030.htm

Here are some pictures of the new arrival.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Roger.Fries/BridgeportCNC#

I wired it up today and fired it up. No motion on X axes, but I found some other posts about power transistors blowing and I was able to fix it. Ain't the internet great! Based on the low serial number I'm thinking Boss 3? Definitely not a Boss 6 as the stepper motor is 1-1 ratio. Now I just need to figure out how to program this thing. No documentation of course.

WOW

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    Here are some pictures of the new arrival.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Roger.Fries/BridgeportCNC#

I wired it up today and fired it up. No motion on X axes, but I found some other posts about power transistors blowing and I was able to fix it. Ain't the internet great! Based on the low serial number I'm thinking Boss 3? Definitely not a Boss 6 as the stepper motor is 1-1 ratio. Now I just need to figure out how to program this thing. No documentation of course.
    That's an oldie but man I wish I had that one! That is Solid!!! They dont make them like that anymore do they.
    I sent you a PM

Hey roger I found this on CNC zone

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80919

There is a link of a CNC mill like yours maybe he might be able to tell you.

One step closer. I have a XDI board in the computer. According to a post I saw from Darek that means it's either a Boss 4 or Boss 5. Anybody know how to tell a boss 4 from a 5?

If the LSI has 4 large IC, it is a BOSS 4.
    5 main IC on the LSI and you may have a BOSS 5.
    The BOSS version is actually determined by the ERS board.
    What part number is stamped on it?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

LSI board has 5 Large chips on it upper left corner and the ERS part# is A027990

Consider it confirmed.
    BOSS 5 with RS232.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Awesome, Thanks everyone! Lots of great info on this site!

Anyone know the years of production for Boss 5's? Just to get a idea of it's age.