586,123 active members*
3,448 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Authentic Rong Fu RF-20 Mill

Authentic Rong Fu RF-20 Mill

IS this mill capable of being converted to CNC? I got it for nothing and would like to conver it. Any mod/kits for it out there?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I do not know if this company still has kits available for the RF-20 however its worth the trouble to fabricate one yourself if you need a small CNC machine.

See the links below for more details.

http://www.motiongroup.info/Pages/Retrofit.shtml

http://www.motiongroup.info/CNC/CNC_Drawings.shtml

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I just chucked some 34-size stepper motors directly on the end of the X and Y shafts (with couplings that mate with the existing handle drive so it's easy to put a handle back on if needed, motors loosely prevented from rotating but otherwise just hang off the shafts), and rigged up a toothed belt drive to the Z axis handle using a smaller motor. No homing, limits etc. I drive this from an existing drive system (added relays to switch between machines).

It has become so useful that I almost never use the other machine (a router), and the motors rarely come off now.

Small mills are the perfect target for retrofits because they aren't (too) hard to do and are already set up with clamping, tooling, spindle etc that are easily forgotten on a scratch build. Also even a partial job (eg just one axis, or no Z axis) can be useful. Still took a lot longer than it should have, but as I said, I use it.

Re: Authentic Rong Fu RF-20 Mill

hey guys, it's been a while since there was some activity re. RF-20s .. I have a lead on one that claims limited hours and includes some basic tooling, nothing to write home about .. asking price is 1000.- CAD (roughly 770 US$ or 1000 Australian$) .. 850 for mill and 150 for tools ..

Are you guys happy with your RF-20s? Is it worth to hold out for an RF-30 or 31? Is there a big difference? Would you pay 850.- for it?

Hope to hear from someone! thanks

Re: Authentic Rong Fu RF-20 Mill

Holy necro-thread....