586,390 active members*
3,117 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > SURFACE ROUGH POCKET

SURFACE ROUGH POCKET

Hello MCX experts,
    I have since MC6 used SURFACE ROUGH POCKET to get things rolling no matter if it is a cavity or boss, but I have always had problems with SURFACE ROUGH RESTMILL to get into areas where the previous cutter could not reach, many wasted moves, aircuts, and even a few nasty pluge moves into solid when there is room for an approach, any hints as to eating out that material would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_BOB View Post
    Hello MCX experts,
    I have since MC6 used SURFACE ROUGH POCKET to get things rolling no matter if it is a cavity or boss, but I have always had problems with SURFACE ROUGH RESTMILL to get into areas where the previous cutter could not reach, many wasted moves, aircuts, and even a few nasty pluge moves into solid when there is room for an approach, any hints as to eating out that material would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    High speed toolpaths are your friend, try Area clearance and then restmill, it is a different interface than you are used to, but works well, once you have it figured out.

I have videos on the site showing you how to do it, register for the free tour, to view all of the materials, navigate to volume two- High Speed Machining

Mastercam Training Online

Another method is to create an STL file from Verify using all previous operations, and use that fle in place of "all previous ops" or tool size

a lot cleaner and it detects excess material better

another benefit is to use this file as a stock model, to verify the following ops, instead of running all the operations thru verify

I use stl compare in verify too quickest way to find the leftover material .
    Then come up with a plan to clean it up.
    Steve Arteman
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

thanks for the pointers, I am trying to save my machined stock as a STL file, I notice that there are tolerance settings, my mastercam is defaulted to TOOL TOLEARANCE .008 AND STL TOLERANCE .001, is this ok? we usually have finish tolerances of .001 total most times. also, when I opened the STL file that I did create, it showed up un-shaded and as a strange looking white wire-frame , still trying.....

Bob,
    You will not be able to shade in the stl file it will however come in as a shaded model in verify when you pick it for the file to use.
    What I will do is save the stl for each cut pocket1',pocket2 etc... as the next cut in op manager comes I will use the last stl cut file I stored to verify. This will show a step by step tool by tool toolpath you will see at the machine. In most cases you will not need to do this for each cut but it is really cool when you do need to use it. Stl verify has saved me many times on some of more complex smaller cutter programs. to see where I need to clean up.

Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    [email protected]
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

"my mastercam is defaulted to TOOL TOLEARANCE .008 AND STL TOLERANCE .001"

In Verify these tolerances have to do with the visual representation of the cut part. You know how sometimes the edges of a fine cut might look jagged in Verify? That's what this Tolerance controls. Set it to .0004 and the toolpath verification looks GREAT. This tolerance has nothing to do with the NC Code.

But There Trade-Offs. - It will take MUCH longer to verify the toolpath.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by CNC_BOB View Post
    thanks for the pointers, I am trying to save my machined stock as a STL file, I notice that there are tolerance settings, my mastercam is defaulted to TOOL TOLEARANCE .008 AND STL TOLERANCE .001, is this ok? we usually have finish tolerances of .001 total most times. also, when I opened the STL file that I did create, it showed up un-shaded and as a strange looking white wire-frame , still trying.....
    Depend on the accuracy needed you will select the appropriate tolerance of the STL being machined.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com