586,596 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > G540 and the "A" axis jogs in the same direction regardless of arrow key pressed.

G540 and the "A" axis jogs in the same direction regardless of arrow key pressed.

I am using a G540 and Mach3. Using the xml file from the Geckodrive website. I have two new Automation direct steppers to run the gantry.

I slaved the "A" axis to the "X" axis and reversed direction on the "A". I began jogging and it moved correctly. I attempted to jog in the other direction and found that the "A" side motor would always jog in the same direction regardless of the arrow I pressed.

So far I have:

Reversed and "Unreversed" the "A"---same problem
    Slaved and unslaved the "A"---same problem.
    Swapped motors and cables--same problem.
    Closely checked pinout settings. They match the Geckodrive sheet.
    Changed the pinouts on the "A" to the "Y" axis settings then attempted to jog using the "Y" axis arrow key. It still always jogs in the same direction regardless of the arrow key I press.

Regardless of all the tests I have made it seems that any motor plugged into the "A" axis on the G540 always rotates in the same direction when jogged.

Any hints or ideas would be greatly appeciated.

JR

Jerry,

I would check the A axis G250 and make sure it is seated properly, also it may have a poorly soldered connect to the direction pin.

The reason I am suggesting that is because you changed the pinouts on the "A" to the "Y" axis settings and that eliminates the parallel port or cable as being an issue.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

DIRECTION (PIN 27):
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Testing the drive unit will be my next step

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I will check the drives tomorrow. You wrote that I should check the "X" axis drive but I assume that you meant the "A" axis drive. Unless you mean that a problem with the X would cause the "A" to misbehave.

I know that in cases like this it is almost always user error and that something is incorrectly configured. So I have approached this with that mindset.

I have not been able to get the G540 to come out of fault mode using any of the default xml files included with Mach3. I have set all the pin out according to the sheet provided by Gecko and still it stays in fault mode.

When I load the xml file from the Gecko website everything seems to work correctly except for this anomaly. So I must assume that the Geckodrive provided xml file changes a lot more things than the pin outs.

Tomorrow I will swap the G540 from another machine that we have and see if it is a hardware problem.

Thanks,

JR

Jerry,

Yes you are correct I meant the A axis drive.

The reason it was not coming out of fault is the G540 requires the charge pump to be set to output to pin 16 in Mach3

The default xml in Mach3 has the charge pump turned off.

Jeff...

Gecko G540 xml file must change many settings inside Mach3 compared to standard xml.

The installation instructions stressed that the charge pump must turned on in pin 16, so I set that correctly. I went over all available instructions judiciously and read the related chapters in the manual.

I will test with a new G540 this morning and report back at lunch time.

I wish that I knew the differences between the G540 xml and the standard xml's that come with mach3. I think that there may be some major differences.

JR

Sometimes it is a hardware problem.

I swapped the G540 and everything works fine. Put the old one back in and the same problem.

Called Geckodrives and they asked me to return it.

Thanks to all who responded.

JR

Gerry,

I neglected to mention turning on the "Use Watchdogs" in the General Config, sorry.

P.S.
    Its not mentioned in the insructions!

Jeff...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watchdogs.JPG