586,393 active members*
2,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Looking for Help using Corel

Looking for Help using Corel

I bought a table from Practical CNC several years ago and enjoy using it to make metal art.

I need to find out how to take any image from the computer screen and using Corel change (or trace) the file into a dxf file. I know there is a way of doing it, I just can't figure it out. To be honest, I am tired of tracing it dot by dot using the bezier tool!

I know I am not using the correct terms and I don't know anything about programming. I've checked many different places on the internet and cannot find information using Corel. I don't love Corel, but it's what I know.

I would truly appreciate information!!

Bring your graphic into Corel Draw. Use the "Trace" Command to automatically trace your graphic. Then you have to use the export command or save as command and save it as an DXF file. There ya go....it's easy. But it may not be the right size in which case you will have to scale it to the size you want. Corel is very easy to use and this is all I use it for is to trace and convert to DXF. I open it up in my CAM software (Alphacam) and scale it down or up. Then tool path it for the G-code. If Corel is all you use then you should know way more about it than I do. So I'm not going to waste your time in telling you what menus to pull down etc.

Bezier tracing is best - X3 / X4 PowerTrace is OK

I DO love CorelDRAW!

That, said if you want to use the built in trace, then make sure you use CorelDRAW X3 or X4. The earlier versions did not work so well.

BUT, you are already making artwork the very best way! Bezier tracing gives the very best results.

Look at Jeff Harrison's 'Learn how to draw with CorelDRAW'. It is well worth the price.

http://www.macromonster.com/index.ph...scr&id_desc=5&

This is the easiest way to bezier trace that I have seen. Bezier tracing gives the VERY BEST quality results.

IF you have VERY good quality high resoultion bitmaps process for high contrast and sharp edges then X3 / X4 PowerTrace works pretty good too.

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Need a newer version of corel ? ? ?
    Download the newest version of Corel Draw for free (everything works for 30 days), then use the trace feature. I got 3 computers so I used Corel free for 3 months before I had to bought it.

It sounds like you are advocating stealing software?

Don't you think the people that bring these innovations to market at a decent price have a right to earn a reasonable return for their efforts?

Do YOU work for free?

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by jemmyell View Post
    It sounds like you are advocating stealing software?

Don't you think the people that bring these innovations to market at a decent price have a right to earn a reasonable return for their efforts?

Do YOU work for free?

-James
    Not even close there. You can download it for free and try it for 30 days then it stops working. DUH ..... how is that advocating stealing software ? I didn't make the software and build in the time limit on the trial period. I said I tried it for 30 days on 3 different computers and then bought it. How is that advocating stealing anything?
    Yes I do work for free I give plenty of advice and helpful hints, tricks, short cuts etc. to people I don't even know and don't ask for a penny. Including you my friend. So go and download the newer Corel Draw that has the auto trace and use it for free for 30 days. Or go to another forum with your problems if you are going to accuse people of stealing software when they are just trying to help you out....and help you out legally.