586,919 active members*
2,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

New spindle motor fitted

Hey all, for those interested those water cooled chinese spindles have a look at this video. I just finished fitting all the water up to it and although it looks nothing like what I planned it does work well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OZCviK0msg&feature=channel_page"]YouTube - New water cooled spindle[/ame]

do you have any more pics of your machine? it looks interesting.

Can you post where you bought this? Motor AND drive for $550?!

Cool!

there is all kinds on ebay...

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Can you post where you bought this? Motor AND drive for $550?!

Quote Originally Posted by diycnc View Post
    there is all kinds on ebay...
    I don't need "all kinds", I need one. If you can post who you got it from, it increases the chance of NOT dealing with a dud vendor...

That looks/sounds great!

Did you get it from linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay? I saw someone say that the collets in these are actually ER16, not ER20 as it says in the ad. Which size of collet are you using Allyd1964?

mcphill, here's a big ol' thread about spindles like these...
    Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    That looks/sounds great!

Did you get it from linearmotionbearings2008 on eBay? I saw someone say that the collets in these are actually ER16, not ER20 as it says in the ad. Which size of collet are you using Allyd1964?

mcphill, here's a big ol' thread about spindles like these...
    Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?.
    You have to read the listings carefully. I have seen the 2.2k spindles listed with both ER16 and ER20. At the time the ER20 was a bit pricier. It is probably best to confirm with the seller if you aren't sure.

I remember seeing an older video of your machine. Sure is a lot quieter now.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nice job! I think I'll be showing your vid to the boss. Sick and tired of listening to the router all day. Have you seen a big difference in cut quality or cutting speed?

Mike

linearmotionbearings2008 this is the seller most are buying from

Quote Originally Posted by diycnc View Post
    linearmotionbearings2008 this is the seller most are buying from
    I bought a 0.8KW air cooled spindle and VFD from them for my Romaxx HS-1 router for US$400.00 including shipping to Australia. The water cooled one was the same price. I think that the price is very negotiable.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

how about some videos of it cutting?

Thanks for the replys, the motor came with a ER20 collet. I bought the motor of Ebay and it was advertised at $550(USD), I made an offer at $520 and it was accepted. On top of that I had to pay $50 delivery to Australia. The drive is quite advanced, I actually got english instructions which was good because I would have been up a creek with out them. Next week I should be receiving my smoothstepper board with the digi-speed controller to hook it up to Mach3, which will assist things greatly. I have taken some video of it cutting in it's current setup but thats still to be edited. I tried cutting some 6mm(1/4") alum. plate yesterday for the first time and had mixed results.

Quote Originally Posted by Allyd1964 View Post
    ...the motor came with a ER20 collet.
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Allyd1964 View Post
    I tried cutting some 6mm(1/4") alum. plate yesterday for the first time and had mixed results.
    I would be very interested to see the results one way or another!

What speeds/feeds have you tried?

Disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm doing...
    If I were trying that motor for the first time I'd probably try ~10000 RPM with a 0.1875 square endmill (4 flute) at about 25 IPM with a depth of cut of around 10 thousandths.

Hi Allyd, that looks like a 'cool' setup you have,

How about some construction details. I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

George

Hi Huridin, the first path was the pockets, I used a 4mm short series uni-mill with a pass depth of 0.040" at 8000rpm and a feed rate of 200mm or 8 ipm. This seemed fine until the flutes become clogged and I snapped my first (and only) 4mm short series cutter. The second pass was the outer profile, this was a lot better using a 6mm slot drill at 5000 rpm with a feed rate of 300mm/min. I then ran a third pass with a long series 4mm end mill to get into the detail bits, it squeaked and squawked but didn't snap. I half expected this, I slowed down the spindle to 4000rpm and it helped.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

PS: How do you embed a photo, I can't find any faq for instruction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bracket 1.jpg   Bracket 2.jpg  

Hmm, looks pretty good if you ask me. Sure, it's not super amazing, but for a 40 thousandths cut without coolant I would say it's downright decent.

To embed you you need to go to the "Advanced" reply page.

Under the reply box is a button that says "Manage Attachments", when you click it it'll bring up a new browser window. In there will be fields/buttons for choosing which files you want to upload. Choose the file(s) you want, then click Upload. As long as the file types and sizes are allowed then you're good. The Manage Attachments window will refresh when the files are done. After that you can just close the window.

I've been cutting 6061 aluminum dry with 1/4" 2 flute carbide or 1/2" HSS endmills at 10k rpm, 0.020" depth of cut, 20ipm feed on my router. However I've gone up to 50ipm on some setups with light engagement with no problems. I usually have between 1/4 to all of the bit engaged in the cut depending on what I'm doing. Seems to work pretty well. I'm using a PC 892. I did clog the flutes and then break the tips on a 3 flute 0.188" bit the other night at the same parameters as above during hole pocketing. The aluminum welded to the cutter which clogged it (I think). This bit had a high helix geometry as opposed to the other endmills I've been using. It was the only bit I could find in that diameter with a 1/4" shank.

Thanks for posting the video Allyd, I have just purchased the same spindle (stuck in customs at the min). Is there any chance of you showing it doing some cutting?

Andy

Page 1 of 3 123