586,808 active members*
7,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap DIY Bowl Tumbler

After a gruelling 3 day build, I've at last bested those familiar cutting edge devils with my finished parts tumbler. I'm poor as shux for project bucks, so this deal had to ring up at less than $15.

I turned every stone on the interweb and found Don Ashe's plans here.
    http://www.buildgear.cjb.net/

For the bowl I used a halved 14" tire from a children's ride on monster truck. It's connected to the base, a bucket from Home cardcheck, err Depot, by 4 spring loaded posts. The motor is a super tiny 110V with a bit of steel turning eccentric, and sports a custom adapted aluminum cradle. It's been running strong, about 5 feet away from me for 2 hours now. It's quiet in tumbler terms and the sonic monotony ain't too bad either, sorta comforting actually.

All this for under $15. I'll build three more in the upcoming weeks. I currently use Lizard Litter crushed walnut shells, available in pet stores as tumbling media. It's aaight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_DSCN1457.JPG   tn_DSCN1458.JPG   tn_DSCN1454.JPG   tn_DSCN1455.JPG  

Excellent! Always delighted by simple,effective little projects like this. What material are you deburring in it? And would the 2 hours run time be the same batch, or multiple batches? Time away from the files and belt sanders is always time well spent.

P.G.

She Sells Sea Shells

I've experimented with different sorts of super cheap tumbling media for deburring. I've tried the crushed walnut shells, pebbles and now I'm trying out crushed sea shells, which look like they're gonna work well. I'll update later with results.