586,408 active members*
2,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What Post Processor Setup are you guys using?

What Post Processor Setup are you guys using?

Hey guys, I'm completing my first mill project and working on a router table for my father. I'm to the point of getting Mach 3 setup and trying to run some programs. I'm a mastercam programmer by trade, so I was planning on using that and also getting my father setup with it, but the only post processor I've found for it to mach 3 doesn't seem to work very well, is there a different cam software and post processor that most of you guys are using that is simple and reliable? How are you guys generating your code? Or is there a place I can read about creating or editing post processors? I've been searching for hours so any links or info would be very appreciated.
    thanks
    Jesse

Anyone? what are you guys using to create code?

CAM package

Please don't get the wrong idea. I do NOT have anything to do with Vectric software. However, I found out about them quite by accident. I was using VisualMill and BobCAD/CAM without a whole lot of success and with a huge expenditure of funds.
    Vectric makes several packages. I just purchased their Cut 2D and Cut 3D packages for a total of $400.00. They let you download them for free and they have sample cut files that allow you to produce G-Code and try them BEFORE you buy!! They even have tutorials (movie style) that you can download for free. The results I have been getting are truly amazing. These programs are VERY intuitive. The learning curve is almost non-existent. If you can't tell, I am VERY impressed with these programs and their low cost.
    I have used files from these programs on my table-top machine that runs Mach 3 controls and also on my large Shop Sabre that uses WinCNC controls. Both machines ran perfectly. There are many more post-processors included in the programs.
    Just Google Vectric CNC and it will take you right to them.

if your using mastercam then a fanuc processor will work fine with mach
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I use visual mill with Mach3. However, I had to get a new post file from their tech support to get some functions (hole pocketing, things with g2/g3 commands) to work. Initially I looked at Vetric's cut3D, but it didn't work well with some 3D shapes I wanted to cut. If you only 2.5D stuff, there are lots of free / cheap options.

Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to reply one more time since there's probably a lot of you with this same question. Thanks for the help guys, I installed this machine def/control def and post processor and it seems to be working flawlessly without any editing:

http://www.emastercam.com/posts/mpmaster/mpmasterx3.php

It is a mill definition and processor, but should work fine with any 3 axis router as well using mach 3 and Mastercam X (I'm using X3)

thanks