586,805 active members*
8,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: programming

programming

Hello my name is Joe, and I've Ben a cnc operator for about 2 years. The shop I work for upgraded to X3 about 6 weeks ago. And I know very little about programming. From what I've Ben told X3 wrights the programs for you? So if I learn how to use mastercan I can learn programming? Am I wrong? Thanks for any info.

I am sorry mastercam does not just write the program for you. you need to still be a machinist and feed the correct info.
    Tools depth of cut Axle step over typs of tools you might want to use.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

From what I've Ben told X3 writes the programs for you?
    Mastercam is a CAD/CAM program, which means that you draw geometry onto the computer screen and then apply toolpaths to simulate what will happen on the CNC Machine.
    Mastercam then converts this simulation into the G code that runs the machine, so in that sense, Mastercam writes the program for you.

So if I learn how to use mastercam I can learn programming?
    Learning mastercam is a very important part of learning programming, however, as CADCAM stated, you will also need to learn the techniques and physics of machining. Your two years as a CNC operator is a good start.
    Click on the link below if you are interested in taking a course in Mastercam.

Mastercam Training Online

Thanks, I may have a chance to move up. 3 machinist and 1 programmer got fired Fri. for failing a drug test. One of the lead men told me they weren't going to hire anybody new and were going to promote from within the co. I just want an edge over everyone else. There's a computer with X3 next to my machine, I can play with. While my parts run usually 30 to 45 min cycle time.

you can also just ask question here you learn a hole lot.
    especcially from those 2 guys that just posted

Seat time is a huige part of any CAD/CAM software. The more your butt is in that chair the better you will become at it. The great think with Mastercam is that there are so many people out there willing to lend help. Places like this as well as http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ul...cgi?category=1 offer one of a kind help from guys with more seat time than god.

If you're running a machine, your in the perfect place to learn G-Code. Your machine must have a manual with a list of G & M Codes. You should be able to compare what you see on the screen, to the charts in the manual. That's How I first learned G-Code.

You could also try something like this to learn G-Code programming...
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com/product/TFM-CNCProgM1

Or something like this to learn Mastercam X3. You can use this on the PC next to your machine or take it home with you at night to learn Mastercam.
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com/product/TFM-CDIntroX3

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Mfg
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com