586,988 active members*
3,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Clarification needed on current limiting resistors

Clarification needed on current limiting resistors

I've done all the math and understand the wattage & ohm ratings of what I'm going to need and require for my particular senario... but the doc's I have with my board, and what I've read and seen online suggest that the current limting resistor should go on the + pwr legs for each stepper. I would think that you'd want to have the current limited at the feed to the board to reduce the excess current, so it doesn't cause uneccessary heat. Am I way off base here ? or has anyone else thought along these lines ?
    Then again it could just be a case of extreme dislexia, and that's how I should have had them configured to begin with..... duh...

thoughts, suggestions ?

thanks guys,

Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by ccm
    I've done all the math and understand the wattage & ohm ratings of what I'm going to need and require for my particular senario... but the doc's I have with my board, and what I've read and seen online suggest that the current limting resistor should go on the + pwr legs for each stepper. I would think that you'd want to have the current limited at the feed to the board to reduce the excess current, so it doesn't cause uneccessary heat. Am I way off base here ? or has anyone else thought along these lines ?
    Then again it could just be a case of extreme dislexia, and that's how I should have had them configured to begin with..... duh...

thoughts, suggestions ?

thanks guys,

Arthur
    Arthur, it a circuit...so as long as the resistor is in the circuit it will do it's job.