586,409 active members*
3,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Solids Help

Solids Help

I have been using Master-cam from Ver5-10x2 as a cnc machinist and I am starting to wish I would have taken the time to know more about Solids and surfaces in master-cam.

What I am asking from the master cam community if you all know what would help me understand it better “What books or classes I should look into”. I have found now that I own my own CNC consulting business that it would be in my best interest not only for myself but, my growing customer base to show full solids rather than them trying to see a 3d wire frame or a 2d flat drawing.
    I will be honest that I have never had to worry about surfaces and solids till now it’s more for presentation and know how rather than cutting with it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

There is quite a lot to it I think, depending upon how far you want to take things...

Probably best to start at the MC reseller & see what they have available.

I was fortunate to have another person in the same company when I was learning so I could get questions answered without delay. This is the best way to learn. If that's not available the reseller would be the next best in my opinion.

I will be honest that I have never had to worry about surfaces and solids till now it’s more for presentation and know how rather than cutting with it.
    I must say with this statment most of your work must be 2d type of work.
    Learning this will open a bigger book for programming by learning Surfaces and solids and useing tem to cut with. for example of taking a customers Solidworks file and bring this into MC and set the WCS and start cutting.

Look at Eappreentice on line or check to see if Mike from Tips for manufaturing has videos on solid and surfaces, but not just how to make them but how to cut with them.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I must say with this statment most of your work must be 2d type of work.
    Learning this will open a bigger book for programming by learning Surfaces and solids and useing tem to cut with. for example of taking a customers Solidworks file and bring this into MC and set the WCS and start cutting.

Look at Eappreentice on line or check to see if Mike from Tips for manufaturing has videos on solid and surfaces, but not just how to make them but how to cut with them.
    Will I have always worked in 3d wire Just never took the time to work with WCS. I have always know I should have took the time, but when you in a hurry you all know its just faster to do it the way you know. Now that I started my CNC consulting firm I have had the time I didn't in a job shop to take time out, and start using the more advanced functions.

I have self taught my self from ver5 so until I joined this site I have never really had anyone to ask, and I really appreciate everyone's help!

So its not like I don't know how or cant I just have never had the time to do it right. Whats nice is I know get paid to do it right so taking the time is in my best interests.

Also it is nice to be able to ask people that know more then I do about master cam, I have always been the go to guy.

Thanks

inky,
    Check the link below out, I have a training video for surfacing in Mastercam X there is a button on this page to view a sample of what is on the training video as well.

http://cad2cam.net/mastercamx_basic_surface%20.html

Steve Arteman
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

thanks

emastercam.com in canada has a series of tutorial books that you can get and they are very good for the most part. mastercam resellers may also have them. i my experience there are some mistakes in the books that can drive you crazy but when you finally figure it out you will have learned a lot. good luck in your new business

Bow...

Thanks everyone!

I am ordering the books and Steve i wouldn't mind having one of your disks but I need to know a few things first. I will email you as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone.
    Inky