586,616 active members*
3,201 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > What Do You Do When You're Not Doing CNC
Page 4 of 11 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewmeister View Post
    Any tips on flushing the brain?
    A straw and a strong stomach
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

AMC, yes. One skull. It's my first try at a european mount. Usually I just saw the rack off & nail it to the wall. I thought a nice bleached skull would look nice in the stairwell.

I have all the skin, the lower jaw, and most of the neck meat off. Any tips on flushing the brain?

I should be travelling down to Indiana in the near future. I'll blast you a message & get directions to the shop. I can't wait to see the critters.

Be Well
    Just freeze it solid. One skull with brains in it shouldn't hurt much but if you did have time and want your car to stink less, you can bend a metal coat hanger and kind of use it like a 'brain blender' or so I've been told~

I'm getting married on July 11th and am literally driving through Beloit, Illinois ATM in the passengers seat on my way to Minneapolis to get ready for the wedding~ I should be back in August, (no joke).

Let me know if you're heading down and I'll see where in the country I happen to be.
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

.....I thought a nice bleached skull would look nice in the stairwell.....
    If you have the stairwell to suit it, dark and spooky. On vacation in Europe I did a tour around the castle that was the home of the guy who got shot and started WW1, Emperor franz Josef or something. He had somewhere around 25,000 deer skulls adorning his stairwells.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    If you have the stairwell to suit it, dark and spooky. On vacation in Europe I did a tour around the castle that was the home of the guy who got shot and started WW1, Emperor franz Josef or something. He had somewhere around 25,000 deer skulls adorning his stairwells.
    That sounds pretty interesting and creepy at the same time. How are you liking your vacations Geof??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Creepy isn't the word for it; the guy was the ultimate gun nut, medieval armor nut, old fashioned weapons of mass destruction nut, killing animals nut. He had foot stools made from elephant's feet, rugs made from tiger skins (on a trip to India he shot something like 30 tigers).

I do like my vacations which is why i take so many although for the past few months I have been working like a maniac around the house and garage fixing everything up for painting it in a few weeks time. Then back to vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    A straw and a strong stomach
    Dear tobyaxis,

I believe that the ancient Egyptians used another method when preparing bodies for mummification. They put hooks up the nose, and dragged the brain tissue out by the same route. I hope this helps..

BTW, this thread is starting to read like a family re-union of the characters in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    .....BTW, this thread is starting to read like a family re-union of the characters in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

Best wishes,

Martin
    I had anticipated somewhat more conventional recreational past times than have surfaced.

WOW, interesting dicussion. I guess I'm a little more tame.

Now don't get me wrong. I really like my job and the company I work for. But away from work machining is not near the top of my list. Here is what is;

kl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boat 008 2.jpg   KJ at Buzz's WEBL.jpg  

Before the stroke I used to ride motorcycles since age four on up. Two of my cousins were expert licensed motocross racers through the AMA and two other were pro. We all ended up building private racetracks and I'm working on reopening mine behind my house along with building three more in the near future. I traded for a bulldozer and front end loader / backhoe recently and have been working out a deal to get the new tracks built this year.

I mentioned the motocross addiction in another thread somewhere but I just found some old pictures of me with moto-hair and a couple of action shots. The picture of me way up in the air was taken on the 'little' jump on my private track behind my house. That baby is 50 feet shy of half an hour long and is approximately 22 feet wide all the way around. One of the bigger jumps has the equivalent of over 530 cubic yards of fill dirt in a jump that is only 63 feet long, the take off ramp was 11 feet tall originally and the landing ramp was an honest 45 degrees, which is stupidly steep for a landing ramp. Before I rebuilt it, only three people ever cleared it. The reason was that it launched you an honest measured 30+ feet in the air because of the take off angle. Even with the 45 degree landing ramp it would occasionally bottom out the suspension on my CR250's. If I can find the pictures, I'll post them of my buddy who was an expert level pro and me with our bikes near the tops of the trees out in the back property.

I miss riding soooooo bad. If I can get an air shifter to work properly for a motocross application, I'm thinking about rigging up a ski binding for my left foot (which is paralyzed) so that I can go riding with my kid in a few years. They sell centrifugal (centripetal?) clutches, so I've already got the paralyzed hand thing taken care of and after riding my half ton quad around for a couple of years, I don't think the hanging on to the handlebars will be a problem.

One thing I ought to say is that I intend to train my little guy how to ride safely and use all the proper safety gear. I don't want to see him ever get hurt but I'm not going to shelter him either. It's part of the reason he and I go catch wild animals so much and he isn't even 2 yet. I don't think it's wise for children to have irrational fears, so I'm pretty proactive in trying to let him experience all kinds of new experiences. It bothers me when I'm around kids who are scared of bugs, spiders, snakes, water, golf carts, getting muddy, walking through weeds, etc. There are so many things out there in the world to see and do.

I honestly don't care if my kids race like I did, I could care less. I do however want them to be active, love the outdoors and have a passion to care for animals. It's going to be interesting to see how Everett grows up and what things end up piquing his interest the most.

Bonus pic, lol, I flipped that truck 3 times out into a cornfield leaving the corn standing between each flip. Not even a bruise, I was giggling the entire time it was flipping but it's a long story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quad2.jpg   dozer.jpg   MVC00037.JPG   Airtime.jpg  

MVC00036.JPG   MVC00027.JPG   MVC00025.JPG   Larry's.jpg  

Carl and Tony 3.jpg   MVC00144.JPG   Gimpy Sweet Landing.jpg  

Mr jeepCJ;

I have not met many people that I think are certifiably insane but you are pushing the envelope.

You sound almost as crazy as I was thirty or so years ago: I gave up surfing about then after three broken ribs, gave up trailbike riding when my son-in-laws monster Kawasaki fell over on me in the backyard a few years ago, I can't take up snow boarding because my MD frowns on an old guy with a hernia doing that kind of thing. So I have to live a quiet life harassing young guys on the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Mr jeepCJ;

I have not met many people that I think are certifiably insane but you are pushing the envelope.

You sound almost as crazy as I was thirty or so years ago: I gave up surfing about then after three broken ribs, gave up trailbike riding when my son-in-laws monster Kawasaki fell over on me in the backyard a few years ago, I can't take up snow boarding because my MD frowns on an old guy with a hernia doing that kind of thing. So I have to live a quiet life harassing young guys on the zone.
    C'mon Geof, if you could go back and relive your life, would you NOT do the 'crazy' stuff or would you do even more of it?? If I had to redo it, I'd have started younger, played harder and no regrets man. I always figured the only thing I'll ever have that I can't lose or be taken away are my stories and experiences.

It might sound a little absurd but even the stroke has been an adventure. I've done a lot of things because of it that I probably never would have attempted had it not been such a challenge. Kind of makes me realize why I like this website so much, there is a really high percentage of people on here that like attacking challenges head on, instead of turning tail and run.

Good to see this thread is getting back on track. For a while I thought I was going to have to discuss my booger collection.
    Jeep sorry to hear about your stroke especially at your age. After my second stroke I had to give up my bikes because my balance went out the window. I'm sitting here now recouping from my second back operation and will hopefully be able to update my web page.
    My hobbies are collecting wood for my next New Years eve fire, building more shops for all the machines that follow me home, reloading and working on an internet controlled cart.
    http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/ADDTN/Dscf0056.jpg
    http://www.kimfab.com/images/cart.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails newshop9.jpg   reload.jpg   fire02.jpg  
    I used to be appalled, now I'm just amused.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCjeepCJ View Post
    C'mon Geof, if you could go back and relive your life, would you NOT do the 'crazy' stuff or would you do even more of it??....
    I did say you almost as crazy as I was.

I was even worse as a teenager living near a surf beach. A bunsh of us used to get up to all manner of hair raising activies. One of my two "best" was when we where playing a game of tag along the top of a cliff. I took a flying leap over a flax plant and discovered there was nothing on the other side; nothing for about 130 feet straight down. I grabbed some flax fronds and came to a jarring halt and my buddies where able to pull me up. The other was when a few of us where fooling around in heavy surf off a big rocky headland. Stand on the rocks and when a wav comes in dive over the crest into the water behind it and as the wave recedes you are pulled away from the rocks and can swim clear. To get back onto the rocks you swin in close and when a big wave comes submerge and surface in the middle of the wave so you get dumped on the rocks and can get a grip and not get pulled back with the backwash. I mistimed it once and got rolled for about 50 yards along a barnacle covered cleft; when I finally got out I was covered in zillions of tiny cuts from the barnacles and bleeding everywhere. That one caused quite a stir among the onlookers.

I think I would be just as crazy if I went through it again.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMFAB View Post
    Good to see this thread is getting back on track. For a while I thought I was going to have to discuss my booger collection.
    Jeep sorry to hear about your stroke especially at your age. After my second stroke I had to give up my bikes because my balance went out the window. I'm sitting here now recouping from my second back operation and will hopefully be able to update my web page.
    My hobbies are collecting wood for my next New Years eve fire, building more shops for all the machines that follow me home, reloading and working on an internet controlled cart.
    http://www.kimfab.com/pictures/ADDTN/Dscf0056.jpg
    http://www.kimfab.com/images/cart.jpg
    Ok, I gotta know, what is up with the huge burning pancakes?? Was that you on them?!

The pancakes were cable reel ends from the phone co baked in the desert sun to perfection. They burn real nice after drying and create little whirlwinds. That is my son on the reel doing his fire dance, I'm too old for that stuff. Used to do crazier stuff than that tho.

Well last Saturday, I was no where NEAR a shop!!

PS

(I made the rings for about fourteen cents, picture coming shortly.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weddin2.jpg  

Dresses up real pretty doesn't he.

Cogratulations and good luck and all that stuff.

Am I missing something here? I followed thru from the sucking out brain parts to the sailing and surfing to the bike jumping but somehow got lost with the rings and wedding picture?
    Please help out a confused old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by KIMFAB View Post
    Am I missing something here?.....
    ...Please help out a confused old guy.
    Post #62 and possibly earlier.

Thanks Geof and congratulations to Jeep. I'm back up to speed, time for a nap.

Page 4 of 11 23456