587,030 active members*
4,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice Wanted buying a small laser cutter

Hello Everyone.

I am considering buying a laser cutter to start my own small business making model airplane kits & gaming accessories

I have been saving up for some time and am hoping to purchase one soon. However I am unsure on which one to buy. My budget is limited to around $4,000.

I need the machine to meet the following specs.

the cutting area needs to be 12" x 24" it can be a bit shorter but no shorter than 16"
    needs to be able to cut
    1/4" balsa & acrylic
    1/8" aircraft quality plywood

I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Hi Jolijar, and welcome to the zone.

I would probably suggest a CNC router rather than a laser for this application.

A 40W CO2 Chinese laser would be within your budget, but I wouldn't recommend it for cutting 1/4" Balsa.

In my experience Balsa scorches on this type of laser, and ply is very dependant on the epoxy thickness and type. I would say the results have been moderate on the laser compared to excellent on the router.

Acrylic is more suited to the laser though, but 1/4" will likely require multi-pass so again the router may still win.

These low cost lasers are ideal for engraving and acceptable for cutting some materials.

Zax.

I have ordered laser cut kits before and the edges are black on them is this what you mean by scorched? or would it be more serious than that?

I have been looking at the Morn laser

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...r_working.html

Ive asked them a bunch of questions
    It will cost $2400 (thats with a replacement laser tube/lens set)plus
    import tax/and port fees
    I dont know how much the import tax will be but the port fees are around $275

I figure it would cost around $3000 total.

I really only need to cut 1/8" balsa but I would like to be able to cut some larger pieces just incase I start producing larger kits.

I am a bit concerned in that I cant find any information about their laser cutter on any other sites. I asked them for several pictures
    one of the inside and exhaust and the pictures were undoctored unlike the ones on the cover. they also have videos on youtube.

Yes, the edges will be black (scorched or burnt by the heat generated while cutting).

The price seems reasonable, but I have not heard of them. There are so many laser assemblers in the Jinan district of China, many are very similar.

I would suggest contacting some US resellers to get competitive quotes:

http://www.the-lasersedge.com
    http://www.scottware.net/
    http://www.wklaser.com/

If you are importing yourself confirm they have FDA certification, or you could find your machine seized by customs.

Zax.

laser sales in USA

Thank you for recognizing Scottware.net as a good reseller in the USA. My name is Ray Scott. I am the owner and engineer at Scottware.net. Our company is growing and sales are increasing as our name becomes more familiar in the USA. My work at Scottware with Laser machines is my only occupation.. I do NOT have any other job.. I am focussed on the proper importing of the best Laser Machines and CNC Routers .. and their accessories. We purchase the equipment and make it available to customers within days of deciding to purchase.

I just got back from China. I visited many Chinese manufacturers of laser machines and CNC router machines. We(Scottware) have been purchasing the Rabbit brand of equipment for a while.. I am now sure that the best machines are Rabbit Laser machines. I must admit that Laser's-Edge also sells the same Rabbit Laser machines. Yes.. Same manufacturer. I almost wish that Tom and Dean had taken my offer to do business together. Not being in business as a part of TLE made it MUCH harder for me to get the business started, but now I am proud to be selling a great product and have the business plan that supports my customers faster and lower price... If you don't believe it.. Just try me.

Ray Scott
    www.Scottware.net
    3503 Carol Ann Lane
    Middletown, OH 45044
    513-320-2748

Laser machine resell in the USA