586,477 active members*
3,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > New Guy Needing a Little help here
Page 1 of 2 12

New Guy Needing a Little help here

some how i reposted the my first post here.

Hi,

Looks like a wood turning lath someone has put a metal holding chuck on.

You just need a big old motor with a flat belt pully on it. With the same 3 steps sizes on your lath. Mount the motor under the bench or to the back of the lathe and run the belt (may have been a leather strap it's that old). then you have 3 speeds by moving the belt between pullies.

It looks more like a metal turning lathe that has a wood lathe tool rest attached to it. I don't think I've ever seen a wood lathe with a prismatic way. the tailstock is also heavier than one would see on a wood lathe.

It has been switched end for end so the flat side of the ways is to the front allowing the tool rest to be mounted.

Check out http://www.lathes.co.uk/
    He has an extensive list and pictures of old lathes and milling machines.

JohnW

yes your right. I wonder what the last guy to use it as a metal turning lathe would make of CNC control.

The tool rest indicates its a wood lathe. Not so good for metal work unless you are very brave. The power source is a motor under the table where this sits with a belt connecting the two. A similar three step pulley is on the motor or a jack shaft driven by a motor...unless it is powered by a water wheel :-)

Quote Originally Posted by refd View Post
    The tool rest indicates its a wood lathe. Not so good for metal work unless you are very brave. The power source is a motor under the table where this sits with a belt connecting the two. A similar three step pulley is on the motor or a jack shaft driven by a motor...unless it is powered by a water wheel :-)
    LOl water wheel! I actually thought that it might work with a water wheel and that it was hooked up to a over head main line that would run through the entire shop to the water wheel or out side motor of some other kind.

Pictures three mules walking round and round! I have two other wheels that came with it and a second three step one as well I also have two brackets that look like they would hold a drive shaft of some kind. (Pictures to soon)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKennedy View Post
    Hi,

Looks like a wood turning lath someone has put a metal holding chuck on.

You just need a big old motor with a flat belt pully on it. With the same 3 steps sizes on your lath. Mount the motor under the bench or to the back of the lathe and run the belt (may have been a leather strap it's that old). then you have 3 speeds by moving the belt between pullies.
    That is what I thought as well the only question i have about the set up is does it matter if the pulleys are going the same direction or not as far as big wheel to small wheel. they would have to turn the same direction of course.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwal View Post
    It looks more like a metal turning lathe that has a wood lathe tool rest attached to it. I don't think I've ever seen a wood lathe with a prismatic way. the tailstock is also heavier than one would see on a wood lathe.

It has been switched end for end so the flat side of the ways is to the front allowing the tool rest to be mounted.

Check out http://www.lathes.co.uk/
    He has an extensive list and pictures of old lathes and milling machines.

JohnW
    I think it is a both actually but have the metal set up on it right now the rest is part of the machine and does come off. Also the Tail stock does not have a holder on it just a hole to put one in. the bit is missing.

and thanks for the website ill go check that out!

Very Old! Worthless to use as a metal lathe without a carriage with cross slide and compound. If you want to use as a wood lathe you can buy a _Poly Vee Belt the length that you need and reverse the belt inside out,works great as a flat belt better than trying to find an old leather belt that was used originaly. A 1 or 2 Hp motor would be more than adequate. As there is no back gears on this lathe and no quick change gear box for threading this lathe is only good for wood. I hope they gave this to you or paid you to take it away!

Mel White

http://photobucket.com/Cast_Iron_Lathe

Ok here i s copy of the link to all of my lathe pictures. including the extra wheels and pulleys.

My thoughts...

While I am not the person to ask what it is I can tell you what I would do with it!!

I would get the belt and drive it with a good electric drive motor from surplus. Then I would attach some steppers and turn this into a wood CNC lathe in nothing flat.

I REALLY want a CNC lathe and it is possibly one of my next projects too.

Coog
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

Picture 14# looks like it might be a carriage and cross slide. You have a complete lathe!

No actually it's a bench vice.

No it is a Bench Vise I did not buy then in the same locations and just recently bought the Vise where as I bought the Lathe in West fork Arkansas back in July of last year.

I spoke with Tony from the site mentioned in one of these replies and here is his reply to my email about my lathe.

Hello Alan,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately I don't recognise it - but it is of a type made from 1895 to 1910. Almost all makers of machine-tools at the time produced something similar and, as with yours, it was not uncommon to find a complete absence of any maker's name or insignia. These unbranded machines were often the result of a major dealer or distributor ordering a large quantity on the understanding that no insignia was attached - and he would then add his own screwed or riveted-on badge, often as a bronze casting. These elegant badges make tempting souvenirs, so looking for tell-tale holes in the bed might give confirm this.

If you are just starting out with lathes then for essential information about how to operate and maintain them I'd recommend a very useful book: "The Amateurs Lathe". Written to make up for the fact that, until the early 1950s, most small lathes often had no decent instruction book included with them, it explains clearly every detail of a lathe's construction and goes through all the basic (and some advanced) operating procedures in a simple and logical way. It has long been regarded as an indispensable aid to the beginner - or even experienced turner. It includes such useful things as screwcutting charts for various pitches of leadscrew and, even if yours is not included, it will be a multiple of one shown and so easy to calculate the differences. If you want to know about countershafts, drive system suitable turning speeds, how to sharpen tools, etc. this is the book.
    We always have copies in stock for immediate delivery:
    £11.65 inclusive UK delivery
    £12.65 including European postage
    £16 including world-wide air-mail post.

Also, to compliment the above - and to give you something interesting and useful to get started with - for a practical-based approach to using a lathe an excellent new book is: "Lathework a Complete Course". This has a set of exercises carefully designed to take the beginner through fundamentals of lathe work and results, after the exercises have been completed, you will have a set of useful workshop tools.
    £9.75 including UK postage
    £10.75 including European postage
    £16 including world-wide air-mail post.

I also have a range of excellent little books in the "Workshop" series that are ideal for beginners; they can be seen here:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/books.htm

We can also supply flat belts:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/page4.html

Looks like early South Bend Wood working lathe...

Gentlemen! this is a sheet metal forming lathe, where you made all kind of pots, and pans, on wooden form placed where chuck is now !

Don't waste your time. It's got bronze spindle bearings which are probably loose , and no good for any speed for a wood lathe. Look for something better. You would not be happy with the end results.

Ed V

Quote Originally Posted by tiho View Post
    Gentlemen! this is a sheet metal forming lathe, where you made all kind of pots, and pans, on wooden form placed where chuck is now !

Well I am not sure how that would work but it is possible to convert it to a wood lathe for small projects?

That is most definitely a wood lathe. I have one that looks similar to that, that used to belong to my grandfather. Mine is a Fay & Scott patternmakers lathe with a rack & pinion cross slide with tool holder. It is powered by a jackshaft that runs what they call a stepper that slides the flat belt to the different steps on the pulley which changes the speed. Mine is a floor model with longer legs which brings the bed to waist height. Got some pics somewhere if anyone would be interested. - John

Whoo Hoo.. yes it could be...

video of a metal spinning lathehttp://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8292524307449042055

Notes:

- If the status of your video is showing as "Blocked", your content may have been identified as containing unauthorized material. Our Content Identification tools automatically identify videos that may contain content that has not been authorized for use on Google Video by the copyright owner. If you believe that this identification is a mistake, please click here to learn how you can dispute this. More information about Content Identification can be found here. If your video status is "Rejected", it has been removed for a Terms of Use violation. If your video was rejected for a Terms of Use violation, please review our Upload Program Policies for more information. Please make sure that your video complies with our policies listed above. If certain parts of your video don't comply with our policies, please edit your footage to ensure that the footage complies with our guidelines. If your video has a "Failed" status, this means that your video experienced technical difficulties. Click here for more information on our technical requirements.

- Any changes you make to "Live" videos, including deleting them, will take several hours to be reflected on the site.

Page 1 of 2 12