586,835 active members*
2,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Super X3 doesn't run- problem solved

Talking Super X3 doesn't run- problem solved

Hello,

I have a brand new Super X3 mill drill.
    I am sure i followed the instruction manual properly but it doesn't start the spindle.
    It's a 240v version as i am in Australia.
    I plug it in, turn the switch on the side from 0 to I ... release the emergency stop button, the machine beeps, it shows 0000rpm on the readout and forward.
    I press the start button.... nothing, i press the reverse button, it doesn't change, i press the speed buttons, nothing changes.... not even a electric motor groaning sound....nothing..

Is there anything obvious that anyone knows of? i can't see any loose wires in the back, there is a large and small fuse there,....
    The spindle does turn if i use an allen key and wind it by hand..

I do have 30 day warranty but i bought the item off e-bay... so it might need to go through that option of returning it... i don't fancy re-boxing it and organising a return.

Thank you in advance for any help

i had the same issue, playing with the e-stop fixed it. Push it ALL the way in, turn it. push it ALL the way, turn it. (turn it so it comes back out). try running it with the e-stop switch out again... try doing this then playing with the controls on the side

Make sure that the door to the quill is closed. That switch that is in the box on the left side may not be connected or is not closed properly.

I would check there first. Mine will have the same symptoms if that door is not closing the switch all the way.

Oh dear..

I am sooooo stupid
    I have been looking at it for two days with that cover open never ever realising that it could be something simple like that.
    If it mentioned anything about it in the instruction manual then i would have made sure it was closed....
    Even though it is a cold wet night i ran outside to the garage in my pyjamas and closed that cover, switched the machine on and guess what?????

IT WORKED..

Sorry for such a stupid first post question. I am so happy that it is something simple and silly as that.
    Thank you very very very much.

MotoGems.

Hey we all had to start somewhere! Welcome to the 'Zone!
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

Quote Originally Posted by MotoGems View Post
    Oh dear..

I am sooooo stupid
    I have been looking at it for two days with that cover open never ever realising that it could be something simple like that.
    If it mentioned anything about it in the instruction manual then i would have made sure it was closed....
    Even though it is a cold wet night i ran outside to the garage in my pyjamas and closed that cover, switched the machine on and guess what?????

IT WORKED..

Sorry for such a stupid first post question. I am so happy that it is something simple and silly as that.
    Thank you very very very much.

MotoGems.
    It was not a stupid question, it just goes to show that a secnd set of eyes can be a godsend. I am sure that most of us have had the same type of problem over the years. Same reason pilots use checklists, to make sure nothing is overlooked.

Good luck with the machine.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

No worries, I had the same problem with a Grizzly lathe that has a shield over the lathe chuck. I was sure that the unit was broke and accidentally, I knocked it closed while trying the switch and it came on. (then so did the light in my head)

Eventually on my SX3, I just took the shield door off and connected the wires together in the box. I had a couple of cases where the door would come open when doing heavy cutting and stop the spindle. Problem was the steppers didn't know to stop and I end up with broken bits and workpieces.

I'm glad you got it going.:cheers: