586,354 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DUAL FOCUS LENS (bifocal lens)

Hello ,

Seeking a solution for the problem of cutting plywood I found something interesting on. Is it someone tried to use dual focus lens like this dual focus lens .
    Based on the images could be concluded that this would solve my problem.

I tried to contact them for price, but I did not receive a response. Is it maybe someone managed to find out the price of this lens?

br

Thanks for the post. I saw the thread, saw that you had mentioned a dual focus lens, and said WOW I like that idea. I called the US office and talked to the guy there for about an hour about his company's products. The dual focus lens won't fit my needs. First off to answer your question the price tag is about $1,000 USD which is not that bad, but not that great either.

This dual focus lens is made for thick steel, or metal cutting... meaning it is only useful on a heck of a powerful laser system with a gas assist system attached. This dual focus lens is not useful when cutting anything else and thus not good for me or my laser systems. This is what the guy told me, and I thanked him for his honesty. So I guess me and you will both have to keep searching, keep me informed if you find something before you hear from me... THANKS.. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi View Post
    Hello ,

Seeking a solution for the problem of cutting plywood I found something interesting on. Is it someone tried to use dual focus lens like this dual focus lens .
    Based on the images could be concluded that this would solve my problem.

I tried to contact them for price, but I did not receive a response. Is it maybe someone managed to find out the price of this lens?

br
    Tom Winters
    www.the-lasersedge.com

Maybe, Maybe

This same thread has actually been started in sawmill creek too. I have some news about this lens. Like I wrote in my previous post, last night I probably spent an hour plus talking with this company's representative. This lens has been designed to assist cutting results when cutting thick metal. This lens was never intended to be for our lower wattage lasers. Last night he told me a few things and one of the things was that the lens will not work because of the design. We talked about his other products and then the conversation was dropped.

I received a call back from him about two hours ago and I guess these threads are really getting some attention. The rep looked into it more and he thinks he MIGHT have a solution to fit our needs. He is not sure and will have to test prior to giving a definite answer due to the lens now being used for something else besides its original purpose.

The lens has two focal distances. Each focal distance is set during lens creation. The two focal distances can be manufactured according to the user's preference.

What does this mean?

(IF this works) With a $1,000 price tag, the purchasee would have to know what material they would be cutting, how thick of a material they would be cutting and where the first focal point should be. Could be worth while, it just depends.... I will keep you all posted on this, I am interested in seeing some results myself.

Happy Engraving!
    Tom Winters
    www.the-lasersedge.com

Hello Tom,
    Today I got mail from them a lot of similar content:

Dear Sasa,

We have had a number of enquiries similar to yours. There are a few parameters we need to know before a Dual-focus lens can be specified:

1) Beam diameter & mode (the patterns shown on the form are to represent what your laser gives out, i.e. select one which most closely matches your laser beam. If your beam is actually 20mm dia, your lens should be at least 50% bigger.

2) Lens diameter you currently use (20mm)

3) Material thickness (8 – 10mm)

4) Lens edge thickness – in case there is significant gas pressure, which I guess there is not in your case.

The cost is more expensive than conventional lens due to the extra diamond-turning process.

Based on other enquires which have required a 20mm or 19mm dia lens with a 2mm edge thickness:

1 off price 490.0 Euro
    2 off price 450.0 Euro each
    5 off price 369.0 Euro each

Shipping costs to Croatia are about 50 Euro.
    Lenses of this size would have to be made from the very start (cannot be made from standard metal cutting lenses), and would be 8 weeks.

but these prices are too high for me, and most do not know whether this would actually increase thickness cutting plywood.

We will see what will you offer as a solution, but for me the price of $ 1000 very high. I live in Croatia and it is still big money here.

Do you have any idea to increase the thickness cut. What kind of laser you use and what thickness plywood you can cut?

I do agree with you that the price is high but if it works then it could be very ideal. There are just a lot of factors that are unknown at this point.

I am actually a distributor of china made machines. I am always looking for ways to increase the scope of work that can be completed by my lasers and am always lookig to make them better. When I talked with the representative today I asked for some more information and I have not seen an email from him yet. Thank you for sharing what you received, I appreciate it. I don't see how, in good judgment, that I could drop 1,000 USD on this and could potentially not have a usable product. We talked some numbers, and I might bite.. I guess we will just have to wait and see what he writes in the email. I'll let you know.
    Tom Winters
    www.the-lasersedge.com

Hello Tom,

In the meantime, while waiting for the answer I have one question: whether you can install lasercut 5.2 or 5.3 with Bluedog USB stick to MPC03LX controller(now i use Lc 5.0).

Hi people from 2009!

If you're still alive by 2013, could you please tell us if you finally bought or tested the dual focus lens?

Anybody used it in a co2 laser?

cheers!
    Luis