586,308 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice for newbie

Hi
    First of all,sorry for my bad English.

My name is Ivan,im from Croatia. Im living in small town called Makarska. Im planing to open a small graphic studio, so im planing to buy a new vinyl cutter. Becouse i dont know will i have buisness here im planing to spend small amount cash in start. I got an inovice for 54" Vinyl Cutter (i dont know exact model name) over e-mail for 300 GPB, i know its cheap. So my question is, what is the best size of vinyl cutter for all around size signs,from small door signs to van signs? Can this big cutter cut small size signs (example 1/2 inch font size) with acceptable accuracy ? or i need to buy also a small vinyl cutter for small signs ? Im new in vinyls cutting, so every advice is welcome. THANKS

On the average small shop a 24" would be a good size. 54" of course would be better but you will need to think about material. Is it a friction feed plotter? Will it accept smaller material, if not you will be buying 54" logs and can be pricy for those smaller jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Justjoe View Post
    On the average small shop a 24" would be a good size. 54" of course would be better but you will need to think about material. Is it a friction feed plotter? Will it accept smaller material, if not you will be buying 54" logs and can be pricy for those smaller jobs.
    Hi
    Could you explain the term "friction feed plotter" ?
    Im new in vinyl cutters

Thank you for advice

Friction Feed: Wheels or rollers that pinch down on the vinyl. Good way to go for shorter cuts but long cuts the material will have a chance to move around.

Sprockets -clamp down on the pref edges of the vinyl - great for long runs

Quote Originally Posted by Justjoe View Post
    Friction Feed: Wheels or rollers that pinch down on the vinyl. Good way to go for shorter cuts but long cuts the material will have a chance to move around.

Sprockets -clamp down on the pref edges of the vinyl - great for long runs
    Well,i dont know. I will ask the seller about detailed specification. What do you think,what is better option for "all around use" vinyl cutter ?
    By all around i meen cutter who can cut from small detail graphic to big signs.

In my opinoin Id go with the 24" friction plotter. I have used one for the past 15 years.