586,305 active members*
3,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > CNC mini-lathe conversion help needed.

CNC mini-lathe conversion help needed.

Hello,

First; a little about me so you better understand where I coming from and may be able to asess my level of involvement with cnc equiptment. I'm Mike. I'm new here. I found out about this place from the rcgroups.com I have been programing and opperationg cnc's full time for about 6-7 years now. Have worked with several Mazak lathes, and currently a Komo Router.

I currently have a Grizzly Mill, have thought about getting the microkinetics complete cnc kit for that.

On to the task at hand. I just got a Grizzly mini-lathe and wish to convert it to cnc for making my own varoius r/c hobby parts with the assistance of a CAD/CAM software. I am very capable of making any parts I may need to fit motors/ball screws etc. but completely lack the knowlage and or experience in the electrical/electronics dept.

What type of motors do I need... stepper, or servo? and how big and what is the difference btw them? what encoders do I need for them? cables wires drivers boards etc.

Where is a good scource/scources for the parts needed such as small ball screws, cog belts and pullys, motors encoders and or whatever I may need to do this.

I have spent hours looking at threads on this site for this info, and it's probably there but I don't know what would pertain to what I need for my small machine. Please help. I'll be very greatful for any advice or help I can Get, and would love to do a online step by step article on the buildup of the machine for others to see.

Thanks, Mike Dulian

[email protected]

Hi Mike, I can only advise you on my own experiences converting a BV20m to cnc. There are probably better/cheaper solutions, but I like servos with Gecko 320's from www.geckodrive.com. Fot the mini lathe, speed is not a necessity, I went for a top speed of 1800mm/min so geared my servos down accordingly. Of course the gearing will depend on the pitch of leadscrew you go for, somethinkg like 5 TPI should be fine. The servos I used were 360 oz/in peak, but these were overkill, I reckon 200-300 oz/in peak will be fine when geared down slightly - even 150-200 on the x axis should be fine. Well theres a starter for you, hoep it helps
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For the mini lathe, Im going to have to say steppers for sure, probably higher power nema 23 frame motors are good. I have been talking to the guy over at xylotex and it sounds like he might be putting out a 2 axis board soon. I am debating weather or not I want to make up a few kits for this machine or not and how much they will cost.
    The problem with the mini lathe is that there is no room for ballscrews in the X axis. that is unless you find some rather small ballscrews with small nuts. I know that when they get that small they get quite expencive.

If you stick with the regular screws, you by no means need microstepping drives, or 1/2 step or 1/4 step at the most in my opinion. With my gekos I have resolution down to .00004" wich is pretty pointless in having.

Jon

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I have some where to start looking and reading.

Jon, What software do you run and how do you like it.

I run turbocnc right now, and I do like it quite a bit, it does what I want and is very customizable to do what I want it to do.

I have been wanting to try out cnczues and mach2 on my machines. I will soon try out mach2 when I get my computer and new controll boxes up on my machines.

Jon

Has anyone fitted conventional DROs to a BV20M?