586,855 active members*
2,502 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > Here we go 924 cnc lathe on the way
Page 1 of 4 123

Here we go 924 cnc lathe on the way

Just ordered it today. i'll post a full review when it gets here.

http://www.smithy.com/product_order....id=28&pid=1015
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

well

It arrived last week and i have spent the last week setting it up.

I'll write a full review later, and post some pixs.

I realise that this is a new product for smithy but let me outline some high and low points so far.

Highs
    Kerry is awesome.
    Packaging was good
    machine is very nice
    Runs great in manual

Lows
    Smithys documentation sucks
    Emc ez-trol might be easy if you have documentation (so far i am very disapointed on its ease of use compared to Mach
    It was a month late
    Did i mention so far I hate EMC?
    Lack of program wizards even though the website claims they have them

I use bobcad/cam and despite stating that it will open .txt files i cannot get eztrol/emc2 it to open any.

Smithy really need to make some getting started videos and manuals if they wanna make a run at this.
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

pixs

here is a picture of the new smithy lathe in my drive way

The cabinet is nice but the lathe is what we need to see. If its a regular smithy under the hood I would be very upset.

I'll post more pixs later its actually a sieg. In its class there just wasn't anything that was competive

Quote Originally Posted by Legion99999 View Post
    here is a picture of the new smithy lathe in my drive way
    Better send it back- that street sign clearly states no turning.

Better send it back- that street sign clearly states no turning.
    LMAO!!!!

Detail Pictures Plaese.

Hi Legion99999

I would also be interested in looking at some detailed pictures of your New Smithy CNC Lathe. Details pictures of the Electronics Cabinet, Spindle Motor, Spindle Housing & Drive assembly, Stepper Motor assemblies and any other interesting parts of the machine. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Regards

Willy

bah

Id post pixs if it were running. Currently i am not very happy with the machine. Here is why..

1.The casing leaks badly, turn the coolant on and you have a shower out the back of the machine.

2. The electronics on the lathe short out when splashed with coolant.

3. Support from smithy is non exisitant.

4. Ez Trol is a joke, no wizards, even though they advertise them and the program is basicly a rip off of sharewhare EMC. Its very primative and basic. Smithy really dropped the ball. In the process of trying to squeeze every dollar of profit out of this sub par machine they really screwed up by no going with MACH 3.

Right now I would just like my money back

Hi Legion99999

Sorry to hear that. I was thinking that their customer service had improved? Guess not. I found out a long time ago about Smithy's customer service. I was in the market for a CNC Milling machine and was trying to get some information. The reply to my first email, was that they would get back to me in a couple days. After a week with no reply, I sent a second email. To this day, I still have not received any replies to my questions. I figured, if they didn't want to talk before they got my money, well you can guess the rest. So I purchased a Tormach PCNC 1100 and have never looked back. Tormach's customer service is the best. Ask anyone that owns a Tormach product.

<4. Ez Trol is a joke, no wizards, even though they advertise them and the program is basically a rip off of shareware EMC.>

Yes, I heard that about Ez Trol, not very good and no Wizards. If I were you, I would demand my money back and tell them to come get their Lathe. I feel your pain.

Willy

Smithy has contacted me and offered to pick up the machine and repair it. The relays are bad and not coolant proof, and the casing needs a gasket. It was a month late when they built it, and i think id rather cut my losses at this point then deal with smithy and ez-trol.

Sadly, i have determined at this point that Ez-trol is complete unacceptable in every way, and im better off spending the money and retrofitting it to mach 3 Im upset that im going to have to spend another 2 to 3 thousand to get this machine working correctly but live and learn i guess.

I asked if they would offer mach instead of ez trol, and they said they couldn't do to the required pins and ports the machine uses. I think they really screwed up here and who ever designed ez trol should proably be fired on the spot.

In retospect i should have bought the microkinetics 1236 or a syil c6 or even spent the money and picked up a used haas.

Smithy has contacted me and offered to pick up the machine and repair it. The relays are bad and not coolant proof, and the casing needs a gasket. It was a month late when they built it, and i think id rather cut my losses at this point then deal with smithy and ez-trol.

Sadly, i have determined at this point that Ez-trol is complete unacceptable in every way, and im better off spending the money and retrofitting it to mach 3 Im upset that im going to have to spend another 2 to 3 thousand to get this machine working correctly but live and learn i guess.

I asked if they would offer mach instead of ez trol, and they said they couldn't do to the required pins and ports the machine uses. I think they really screwed up here and who ever designed ez trol should proably be fired on the spot.

In retospect i should have bought the microkinetics 1236 or a syil c6 or even spent the money and picked up a used haas.
    Sneak out tonight and pull that sign off the post and rivet it to the machine before they come and pick it up.(nuts)

"Sneak out tonight and pull that sign off the post and rivet it to the machine before they come and pick it up."

That might help make your point !

It is so sad to hear .

I have a Smithy 1240 cnc -- took some time to get up to speed ????

Haas in the future ????

Hi Legion99999

Tell them you want your money back and to come and pickup up their junk. How could you ever be assured that they would repair it properly?

I asked if they would offer mach instead of ez trol, and they said they couldn't do to the required pins and ports the machine uses. I think they really screwed up here and who ever designed ez trol should probably be fired on the spot.
    Saying that Mach 3 does not have enough ports and pins is a load of C$%@. This Lathe has 2 Axis and a simple Tool Changer and a Coolant Pump. Mach 3 is capable of running up to 6 Axis. If two Parallel Ports are used you end up with something like 40 input and 15 output pins. And if that isn't enough you can always add a Modbus or PLC that will give you even more. So saying that Mach 3 cannot handle this Machine is a joke. Basically they are not willing to make this a usable CNC Lathe.

I wouldn't spend another penny on this machine. Cut your losses and ask for your money back. You have already lost the Shipping amount.

No one should have to go through this when purchasing a metal working machine. I am sorry you are the one finding this out the hard way. I feel your pain.

All the best

Willy

I thought the Smithy lathe was the Sieg KC6 lathe, which is available with mach or siemens controllers, and then Smithy chose to use their own electronics system and software to maximize profit.

So it seems nonsense to say that it can't be run with mach, since it was originally designed for it.

http://www.siegind.com/CNC_MACHINE/index_SIEG.html

Whatever happened? Did they pick it up or fix it? Fix it yourself or just scrap the whole thing?

They have made a few emails and calls, largely it has been relegated to a future project as i have to continue using manual machines to do the job this one was purchased for.

I hope to move it to mach 3 soon. Ez-trol is nothing short of fraud

It arrived last week and i have spent the last week setting it up.

I'll write a full review later, and post some pixs.

I realise that this is a new product for smithy but let me outline some high and low points so far.

Highs
    Kerry is awesome.
    Packaging was good
    machine is very nice
    Runs great in manual

Lows
    Smithys documentation sucks
    Emc ez-trol might be easy if you have documentation (so far i am very disapointed on its ease of use compared to Mach
    It was a month late
    Did i mention so far I hate EMC?
    Lack of program wizards even though the website claims they have them

I use bobcad/cam and despite stating that it will open .txt files i cannot get eztrol/emc2 it to open any.

Smithy really need to make some getting started videos and manuals if they wanna make a run at this.
    It been nearly 5 months now- did they ever get it fixed or take it back?

Hi Legion99999

So what's the story? It's been almost 6 months since you received your Lathe. Did they ever come and take it back for repairs like they said they were going to? I am sure there are allot of people interested to hear if Smithy's service has gotten any better.

Willy

Don't waste anytime or money on this machine. The software is so bad. Eztrol is nothing short of garbage, even chinese software works better. That's sad. Save ur money,

Page 1 of 4 123