586,655 active members*
3,194 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234
    just remember kunkler, the more frets you have, the closer the spacing between your pickups will be, and lesser range in tone for it... and id also love to see the neck, is the neck an accurate model of a les paul neck using the proper dimensions and cross sections? and is it a bolt on type or for set in neck construction? and for the carved top posted.. its pretty nice, closer than most attemps ive seen, but it still looks pretty far off.. there should be a sort of lip around the front and sides of the lower bout

check out the sldprt file i posted earlier which has the topographical data, would be nice if you could make a carved top like you did, but with the more in depth data i found.. then we should have a perfect top

and to stevec? strat telecaster?.. do you mean a strat body or a telecaster body?

Learn Rhino

For a very good new book to help you learn Rhino go to www.rhinoacademie.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimildoo View Post
    For a very good new book to help you learn Rhino go to www.rhinoacademie.com
    I will take your word for it and have placed an order! Cheers

i really like the bridge and tremolo on strandbergs website.. however, it doesnt look like the locking tuning machines would be entirely that accurate.. looks like fine tuners at the bridge would be a must, and as you got up to pitch the resistance would increase.. about the tremolo.. how does that thing pivot? what it looks like is a set of custom saddles with fine tuners mounted onto a plate which from there on is a normal tremolo? does it use a typical tremolo routing cavity?

Strandberg Tremolo

Quote Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
    i really like the bridge and tremolo on strandbergs website.. however, it doesnt look like the locking tuning machines would be entirely that accurate.. looks like fine tuners at the bridge would be a must, and as you got up to pitch the resistance would increase.. about the tremolo.. how does that thing pivot? what it looks like is a set of custom saddles with fine tuners mounted onto a plate which from there on is a normal tremolo? does it use a typical tremolo routing cavity?
    Hi Justin,
    the tremolo uses a Floyd-Rose routing and post spacing. It is intended to be a direct replacement, or use the wealth of templates already out there. I have yet to finalize an industrialized pivot, but it is (and will likely continue to be) hardened steel, again like a Floyd-Rose. Tuning stability is not as good as a double-locking solution, but it is not intended to be. The primary purpose is low weight and ergonomics. The tuner action though is perfectly good enough. The pitch of the threads and the material choices have been developed to work well. There is no need for fine tuners. (Don't confuse with my latest post about my "coarse tuner" prototype...)

Cheers,
    Ola

the comment about needing fine tuners was directed at the coarse tuners though.. which im guessing is the reason theyre called coarse tuners

Quote Originally Posted by justin22885 View Post
    the comment about needing fine tuners was directed at the coarse tuners though.. which im guessing is the reason theyre called coarse tuners
    Yes indeed, the "coarse tuners" are intended to be used with nylon strings and my regular tuners as fine tuners. With steel strings, the action of the regular tuners is enough.

BTW - I will stop hi-jacking this thread now... Sorry for straying off-topic. I look forward to working with some 3D-models.

Hey There! Great thread.

Anyone have any 3D models of the D'Angelico New Yorker guitar?
    Going to be building a homebuilt CNC and would like to router out the top and bottom archtops. Any help will be appreciated.

hmm.. ill let you guys decide what youd like me to make next.. choices are the telecaster (if it hasnt been done yet) the gibson flying V, or the gibson SG?

i started the SG model today.. and should have it finished tomorrow, control cavity is completely made.. all thats left is the pickups, the holes for screws and bridge/tailpiece bushings.. and to chamfer the edges and i should be posting an SG on here by wednesday.. complete

the SG im making first is the model where the little channel to connect the wiring for the humbuckers and control cavities together is routed in the back, and that channel is then covered with a strip of wood, ive decided to do this one because the SGs never had a pickguard covering the control cavity, its always been in the back, so by doing it this way, you have the option of any of the SG pickguard styles, or none at all

also, the neck pocket is angled 2° as required.. ill probably model the neck afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by kunkler99 View Post
    Jer7440
    i just want you to know you totally made my afternoon!!!! That is a beautiful custom clone!!!! Would you please post the neck to this guitar preferably 24 fret version? I have a few quick questions. Did you cnc this?? I imported it into solidworks and it appears that this is just the top layer like the maple part on a Custom 24 how thick is the bottom half so I can accurately model it? And is there an easy way for you to flip it so that I can make a left hand version?? If not I think I have enough skills to do it in solidworks. Thanks again!
    I'm glad you like the file. I will post the neck. My neck file is just the neck minus the fretboard. To get to a 24 fret neck you just add two frets to the fretboard and move the neck pickup down the guitar a little bit.

I did CNC this guitar...all I posted was the "surfaces" that make up the top contour. I just realized I didn't include the outside contour and the pickup and control cavities. I believe the overall thickness of this guitar is 1.5" The one in my picture has a .75 alder back with a .75 maple cap.

just remember kunkler, the more frets you have, the closer the spacing between your pickups will be, and lesser range in tone for it... and id also love to see the neck, is the neck an accurate model of a les paul neck using the proper dimensions and cross sections? and is it a bolt on type or for set in neck construction? and for the carved top posted.. its pretty nice, closer than most attemps ive seen, but it still looks pretty far off.. there should be a sort of lip around the front and sides of the lower bout
    When I built my LP I decided if I was going to build my own custom LP...it was going to be custom. With that in mind I started fixing the things about the stock LP I didn't like. The first thing was that "lip" around the lower bout. I didn't like the way is dug into my arm, so I smoothed it out. The next thing was the clunky heel on the neck. I cleaned that up and made it flow into the body...sort of like an AANJ on an Ibanez...only a set neck. The widths and thicknesses of the LP neck are correct to one of the many LP neck styles but I can't remember exactly which one. There is also a volute on both the LP and the PRS neck. This feature makes for a much stronger headstock.

Here is a pic of the back of my LP

I will post up those neck files later today.

That is a sharp body...............Nice job.

I got a few things to say and ask.....#1 someone mentioned the nextengine name. I just got the Nextengine 3D scanner. I mean just got it as it was hooked up 2 days ago. I do not have a clue of how to use the thing yet, but I think it can help out. My graphics card is not good enough, so the scanner wont scan just right until I upgrade the card. I am in the process of that now. Has anyone used one of these??

#2...someone asked for me to post the full image of the strat blueprints. I have no problem with that except that the file is 8 mb and too large to post. I will try to zip, shrink ,compress or something to get the thing up here today. it is 11 x 17 when printed. If your email can handle this size, let me know and I can send it that way.

#3 I have Solidworks, ArtCam Pro, V-Carve Pro and Vectorworks Cad program. Does anyone know how to get the .iges files converted over to a .dxf file. I mainly work things out with ArtCam and cut out from there.

#4 Posted a pic of a carved T-style body that I am working on. I am adding this to my arsenal....or trying to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dragon Tele.jpg  

to mitchjr

i asked for the strat drawings.. email is [email protected] and i can convert .iges to .dxf or .dwg, let me know what you need converted

also, did you get the armpit piece of the tele angled back like on a strat, and the depression between the bouts on the top side made? those are two things i cant seem to do well with solidworks

also, when you get your scanner working, do you have a les paul top you could scan?... also, ive been desperately trying to find a king V body, but no one has schematics of one to convert to 3D

As much as I admire this idea, you guys do know, that a real full size model was made, by hand, first and, back in the day was used as a template for a tracer mill. When the cnc came around that information was generated in g-code with all the attendant math. The fastest most accurate method I know of to duplicate this profile type is to use a digital probe. Wouldn't it be great if someone who's still working in the industry could get the use of a Farro Digitizer to scan the top surface and then generate the g-code for it for us lesser beings. Oh well, I'd just wanted to add my .02 cents.

Hey all, I downloaded the PRS file and brought it into Rhino 3.0 ,saved it as STL and simulated it in CUT3d and here is the surface view. I noticed some elevation differences along the surface, I also noticed it in Rhino, has anyone else noticed this? Jer74 did you notice this in your cad. Was just wondering if this is only on my end,thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prs.jpg  

someone wanted a d'angelico new yorker... there are plans for sale here http://www.luth.org/plans/archtop.htm .. if you got those, someone here could convert it to a 3d model for you

Conversion, a breaking tradition....

Hi All,

I can convert a file for you if you want....just PM me with what you want converted, and chances are I can get you the format you need. Has anyone heard of polyworks? Works quite well.

What do you guys think of this? Koa top, with and Ash back...should be an interesting sounding instrument....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LP-koa-ash.jpg  
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

do you have the proper carved top on that?.. or is it a hollow body?

proper carve modeled from a '59 paul...from stewmac plans...
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

do you have a copy of the plans or a 3D model of the top?..

also, if anyone has a gibson flying V.. could you tell me what the angle is between the inside of the horn and the outside of the horn?

Page 2 of 5 1234