587,030 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > ArtCam Pro > how does artcam do round stock, legs, etc?

how does artcam do round stock, legs, etc?

I'm seeing how artcam pro lets you work with the artwork in a flat plane, and it makes the toolpath for that, but how does it do round things like a table leg?
    Is it still designed flat, then a last step translates it to the cylinder ?
    Does it work with a 4th axis rotary table , toolpaths for that too?
    -Les

That is correct. You can look at the cylinder by choosing the "Ring" option which will roll the flat plane in the X or y axis. To post this using a 4th axis you need to look at all the post options and find one that translates the rolled axis (Y lets say) into the "A" axis.

I used the post called "Gcode (Y->A)(in)"

See my post below.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...1&page=37&pp=5
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I know artcam can take a 3d relief and lay it on a cylinder, but can it cut a full 3d model? If so what are the steps?
    Below is a bear head I did useing Deskproto. Can Artcam do that?

Donny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bear head full carve 4in post 2.jpg   bear head full carve 4in post 3.jpg  

What are the speeds you are usind on 3D engraving. I tested just yesyerday with 250 mm/min and it took me 4 hours to finish 120 sq cm work. I consider it as not sufficient. What is your experience about the speed.

Alar

Quote Originally Posted by lesd
    I'm seeing how artcam pro lets you work with the artwork in a flat plane, and it makes the toolpath for that, but how does it do round things like a table leg?
    Is it still designed flat, then a last step translates it to the cylinder ?
    Does it work with a 4th axis rotary table , toolpaths for that too?
    -Les
    ArtCAM will allow you design, view and cut rotary axis parts, whether the part is a table leg, column, capital, or any other rounded part you wish to cut. ArtCAM will allow you to import a 3D file, Unwrap it and apply a toolpath overtop of it which would be cut on a rotary axis machine. ArtCAM is 3 axis software but allows the user to swap either the X or Y axis to run a rotary indexer. I have attached a couple of pictures of the ArtCAM rotary axis process.

The first image (Colomn.jpg) is a column brought into ArtCAM as a 3D stl file and unwrapped. ArtCAM is showing the unwrapped relief part as well as the wrapped finished part.

The second image (Tower.jpg) is an ArtCAM model created flat then wrapped to view what the finished part would look like. This is using the “Create Ring” option as Jeff said which is located in the Relief pull down menu in ArtCAM Pro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Column.JPG   Tower.JPG  

I cut the bear at 80 ipm. I did a roughing pass with a 3/8" ball at .2 stepover and .5 stepdown I think. Then finished it with a 1/4"ball at .026 step over 80ipm.

Brad,
    Where did you get the column model. Doesn't look like a Artrecon one? The tower is Piza right? Have that one but not the column.

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Brad D View Post
    ArtCAM will allow you design, view and cut rotary axis parts, whether the part is a table leg, column, capital, or any other rounded part you wish to cut. ArtCAM will allow you to import a 3D file, Unwrap it and apply a toolpath overtop of it which would be cut on a rotary axis machine. ArtCAM is 3 axis software but allows the user to swap either the X or Y axis to run a rotary indexer. I have attached a couple of pictures of the ArtCAM rotary axis process.

The first image (Colomn.jpg) is a column brought into ArtCAM as a 3D stl file and unwrapped. ArtCAM is showing the unwrapped relief part as well as the wrapped finished part.

The second image (Tower.jpg) is an ArtCAM model created flat then wrapped to view what the finished part would look like. This is using the “Create Ring” option as Jeff said which is located in the Relief pull down menu in ArtCAM Pro.
    Brad D
    I know it's been 3 yrs since your post .
    does artcam pro make up the g code to make up the difference in diameters of the colomn ?

Roy

thanks very nice
    good

Quote Originally Posted by Brad D View Post

can artcam do taper column how do set the diameter with create ring option? or wraped contour sweeping scroll sweep efeect ie a corbel with wrap up scroll on the end?