586,389 active members*
2,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

z axis sticking / missing steps

:violin:
    Hi,

I have a taig CNC mill with Xylotex controller & I am running it from EMC.

I was using my mill a few days ago with no problems what soever. I was milling wood (pine). Then all of the sudden the z axis stuck. No reason that I could see. The rapid for the z was only set at like 12IPM. So I did some research.

I found people suggesting that it could be a loose Gib. So, I took the head assembly off and checked my Gib. Sure enough it was a little loose. I re-installed and re-adjusted it till it would move freely yet had no side to side movement. Get the mill back together completely and try the z out, it was no better at all. Still sticking even at like 8 ipm.

So I did some more research and found people suggesting that the pieces that hold the z axis assembly on the z slide could be loose. I checked mine and it was indeed a little loose. So I tightened it up (only by hand). The z axis assembly was able to slide up and down by hand without too much difficulty. So I put the motor back on and got it all set back up. Tried it out at 12 ipm still sticking, not as bad though. Lowered the speed down to 11 ipm and it seemed to be ok. So I set up a part and started to mill it. The z worked without sticking for like 1 up movement & then skipped some steps.

This leaves me unsure of what to try next. Which is why I am posting for HELP! :drowning:

Oh yeah, the sticking (missing steps) problem seems to only be with upward travel, down is fine.

Thanks,

Frank

Are the ways oiled? If not order some Vactra 2 (http://www.mcmaster.com/ has reasonable price per/gallon -- which will last forever -- and they ship quickly).

Also check your motor accelerations, if you try to accel too quickly the motor will stall.

Yes the ways are oiled. And as far as the acceleration goes, it was just working fine. And it usually doesn't get stuck immediately, it will be moving fine and then stick.

Thanks for the reply & suggestions. I might try turning the accel down tonight just for kicks to see if it helps.

-Frank

Hi Frank!

You are cutting wood on a metal-cutting machine. Have you checked to see if sawdust adhering to greased parts is clogging things up?

CR.

I've taken the whole z axis assembly off several times now & I have cleaned everything from the lead screw to the way. I've been cutting wood without issue, till now.
    That was my exact first thought when it started sticking. I figured that it just needed a little cleaning. But after cleaning, oiling, adjusting I am still having the problem.

Thanks,

Frank

So are you saying that the Z axis is MECHANICALLY sticking? Can't move by hand with power off? Or is it that the motor stops turning or stalls?

CR.

Well for one thing, it will stick and then start moving again. Almost like it just pauses for a moment losing steps. Like last night when I started running that part it did some milling and then was supposed to go from like z-.125 to z.05 but it ended up going more like to z-.05 & showing z.05....and then it proceeded to mill through my block because it hadn't traveled above the part like it was supposed to.

When I have taken it apart I have not found that it sticks mechanically. So now I am kind of thinking that it may not be something mechanical. The oddest thing is that it was just working fine.

Does that answer your question?

thanks

I have another identical stepper, from my fourth axis that isn't currently setup, that I can swap with the z axis stepper to make sure that that is not the problem.

That's good to try. If that doesn't help, you might also want to swap the Z driver with another driver position and run a test program.

CR.

Yeah, that is a good idea, I didn't think about swapping which axis the motor was plugged into. Thanks

If your Xylotex IS blown--And you call IMMEDIATELY--You MIGHT still get one of the $225 Overstock Special G540s:

714-832-8874

CR.

I have had my xylotex go bad before, twice. Each time though everything quit working.

And xylotex did fix it.

What would be the benefits of the Gecko?

Would I have to also get a new power supply?

Not necessarily. G540 will run motors better than Xylotex even with 24V PSU. You COULD upgrade PSU at any time though for even more performance.

CR.

sounds good. I'm going to have my wife call (I'm at work) and see if they have any left.

I'm in luck. They had a few (7) left. So a 540 is on the way.

A couple of questions about the G540:

Where's a good place to get the DB9 pigtails?

Will this drive fit inside my Xylotex box without mod?

Will I have to change the way my EMC file is set up?

Congratulations. You will be amazed by the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by 725franky View Post
    I'm in luck. They had a few (7) left. So a 540 is on the way.

A couple of questions about the G540:

Where's a good place to get the DB9 pigtails?
    They come with it. You WILL need about eight 3/4 inch 4-40 screws though.

Will this drive fit inside my Xylotex box without mod?
    It should, it may be smaller than a Xylotex. 2 3/8" high x 6" wide x 1" deep. You need to cut a rectangular hole, but there is a template with it.

Will I have to change the way my EMC file is set up?
    I don't know. I don't run EMC2.

CR.

Oh, what size and amps are your Xylotex motors?

CR.

269 oz steppers

don't know the amperage...i'll have to check when I get home.

Just checked Xylotex website:

2.8A

http://www.xylotex.com/StepperMotor.htm

Page 1 of 4 123